emphysema

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am 80 years and been diagnosed with emphysema, I do bring up a lot of white but a lot more when I vape my Ecig, yet it does not contain anything that a cigerette does yet it does badly aggrevate it, any one else out there have a similar problem? Jamesd**

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

it has said that e cig is as bad for us as

cigaretts i gave up smoking 5 years ago after being a smoker for 40 + years because i was fed up of being breathless i went back to doctors and had some tablets and

not smokes since then i learn i have C O P D but my son has the vap cig and he coughs more than i do so i would not use them not good on the lungs i have read but its up to you to decide

• Posted

Manufacturers said for decades that cigarettes were safe, but only as a change

from earlier decades when both they and docs said that smoking cigarettes was beneficial. Anyone who chooses to believe the hocum put out about vaping has forgotten very recent cigarette history.

They also say that vaping has no odor. More lies! A friend & i went to the coast (700 mile round trip) on October. The stink of her turned off vaper(?) was awful. I couldn't have that smell in my car. She had to put it inside 4 sealed bags. By the end of the trip i told her that she was far more addicted to vaping than she'd ever been to cigs. She argued about it but I've known her for 13 years and I know that she was able to go half a day or more w/o smoking a fag. Now she can't go an hour w/o vaping. When we first met, I still smoked 4-5 cigs daily (down from a pack, but almost twice as long), and she smoked 1 cig daily.

You inhale chemicals when you vape. Of course they'll irritate your lungs. Up to you what you choose.

• Posted

I didn't make clear why I couldn't have my friend's vape gizmo in my car: i have bronchiectasis and the lingering odor of the burned chemicals irritated me instantly. It would've been impossible for me to drive with that thing in just its normal pouch as my coughing would've made me a danger to everyone on the road.

• Posted

James I stopped smoking 10 years ago when diagnosed with copd I probably didnt smoke as long as you have but it was still over 40 years It was easier than I thought it would be and my wife stopped with me Please give it a try because anything going into your lungs other than air surely cannot be good for you Please give it a try and i am sure that will stop the aggravation wish you well James

• Posted

Your lungs are the best judge of what they are happy with.

Vaping was intended to help people stop smoking but I don't think it was ever intended as a substitute for smoking long term.

I don't have a similar problem because I don't vape

My lungs wouldn't tolerate any smoke or artificially flavoured vapour nor air fresheners. Anything like that just sets me off coughing.

• Posted

There are far fewer harmful substances in e-cigs than in cigarettes so it's much better to smoke the former. Studies saying that it is as bad for you as smoking is probably the Govt. trying to get it regulated so they can tax it like ciggies.

I packed in the fags in 2016 but couldn't use e-cigs as they made me cough. It might be that the vapour you are using is too strong for you so try buying a milder flavour. I used patches and the little white inhalator to stop and also joined a quit site for support This worked for me. x

• Posted

Hypercat is more on the money than anyone. Please understand when you go in a vape store you can pic flavors and most smell really nice. They have alot of starter Kits too but you can also pic the percentage of nicotine that you get. I believe a cigarette is around 21 mg and vapes can start you on that % too which does smell stronger. It gets quite customized but vaping saved me from a huge fear of quitting cigarettes that I just couldn't conquer. After 36 years of smoking a pack and a half a day, I was diagnosed with COPD medium to severe and CHF . On that day I started vaping. I like the taste of menthol cigarettes so I picked that flavor at 21 mg % just for a couple days... then I weined down every time I needed to go in until now I'm at 2 %. Everyone tells me how good it smells. Your friend has to change her filters regularly to keep them clean good. My store custom makes the juice and they say it was this one specific kind that was out being sold that got banned bc of the chemical in it. He said his is butter flavored popcorn oil. There is alot of misrepresentation out there and info. My COPD starts are the same as 4 years ago when I was diagnosed in September 2014 and stopped smoking that day and I have no mucus and dont cough. I know everyone is different...I'm an example. God Bless You

• Posted

Government legislation on ecigs would be a good thing regarding trading standards incredient content permitted etc. That way none of the unknown additives from imports or indeed UK made will be dangerous for human consumption.

But still if your lungs are objecting to the vapours I would avoid.

I can't even walk passed someone vaping in the street without coughing and trying to hold my breath, some are so sickly its like they are inhaling and polluting the air with artificial sweetners and flavourings. yuk. Huge clouds of vapours from the e cigs these day just awful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.