Employment

Posted , 8 users are following.

A  question for those who have returned to work......

How long did it take  to get back working  ....

Im  a careworker  , allot of our work is physical  

ive been off 5 weeks so far and like everyone im still sore  and swollen, and cant climb stairs ....

Regards 

Linda 

ps ...i ride a bike between clients    

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

"How long" is not a question anyone can answer...FOR YOU.  Everyone is different and returning to work is a very personal thing.  It depends on many factors including: the amount of healing in the knee, age, occupation, ROM achievement, exercise completion to rebuild your quads, glutes and core, amount of walking and lifting required by your job and more.  There is no right answer.  However...

In general, people usually report returning to work in the 4-6 month range after they've done all the work required and the knee is sufficiently healed.  A guide would be something like: You typically walk 10,000 steps a day at work.  Can you do that a few days in a row without swelling and pain?  Can you bend and lift necessary objects?  Can you climb stairs up and down without holding onto anything when required?  If your checklist is all "yes"'s, then you're probably OK.  If not, think very carefully about going back too soon.

People who have gone back at 3 months typically report pain, swelling, sleepless nights, etc., and then have to wake up and do it all over again the next day.  This does not facilitate the healing of the knee.  Some people have to do this due to financial constraints.  We can only wish them well.  On the other hand, we have had a few...very few...souls who've just skated through this whole thing and were back at work, typically a desk job, in six weeks.  After reading over 4,000 posts, I can tell you that I only need a few digits on one hand to count them.  Recoveries like that are quite rare...I would not rely on being one of them.

In all, you have to get your ROM back (usually by the three month mark after 8-12 weeks of PT @ 2X/week typically plus the home exercises).  Then you have to rebuild all your musculature to support the knee.  Not doing that puts all the pressure on the new joint causing all the pain and swelling that people experience when they return to work before they are strong enough.  STRONG ENOUGH!!!  Critical factor.

As the knight in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade cautioned: "Choose wisely."

• Posted

I was 5 months before I went back to work and then that was on a phased return. It wasn't very pleasant for the first couple of weeks, I felt really tired, knee swelling up at the end of the shift. Saying that I'm coming up to 7 months post op now and I'm managing really well. I'm back to full duties, I can skip down the stars now, knee feels so much stronger and hardly any swelling now. I can ride my bike but it still doesn't feel natural I lift my hip up slightly I think it's all in my head. 

• Posted

Thanks for input snoozy. Interesting you are biking again.L
    • Posted

That is GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!  Soooooooooooo happy for you.  I remember our early conversations...look how far you've come.  You should be very proud.  Just give it some more time...increase gradually.  Remember, this takes a year, sometimes longer.  As a individual, it will be very personal for you with no set time schedule...take it slow and build up your strength.  You'll get to where you want to be, sure enough.  Damn...I LOVE success stories!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Posted

Thanks Chico , seriously though this site has helped me so much I'm glad I stumbled across it on those long nights during recovery. I have to keep reminding myself how far I've come by looking back a couple of months because the recovery is such a slow process. In one of the early conversations I can remember getting upset because I couldn't bend my knee enough to ride my beloved motorbike, well guess what? I commuted to work on it yesterday, quad muscle is still painful and tight but I did it 😜

• Posted

Hi Linda,

?I had a partial knee replacement, medial compartment, right knee on 6 Nov 2015. I am a bus driver in the tourist industry so in addition to driving I am involved in walking to a degree (typically up to 3 or 4 miles a day) and handling passengers luggage all as part of my job. I was back at work at 11 weeks.

?In addition to doing all my exercises I visited my sports injury massage therapist and from the day my dressing was removed ( about Day 13 post op) I got her working, deep massage on my knee and on the incision line to potentially overcome the risk of scar tissue forming. She also taught me to 'walk' again ........ heel down first, then ball of foot then toes. Heel, ball, toe.

John

• Posted

Thanks for response. My work think i be back at end of month . Despite exercising and icing . Swellings nasty
  • Posted

Hi Linda 

like you I'm a care worker ,but I travel around in a car . I had my ltkr in November 2017 and I'm still not back to work , I have recently had a manipulation and that has knocked me back quite a bit but I'm now feeling a lot better and due to start back first week in May on a phased return ,I defenetly didn't think it would take this long ,but I can honestly say it's only now that I'm starting to feel up to returning to work , our job is physical and I'm still not sure that I'm going to be able to do it all but my manager has been really good and I'm going to be shadowing somebody first and obviously  phased to work so that will help ,really hope you have a understanding boss because this whole Tkr has been a rollercoaster ride for me and a lot harder than I ever imagined it would be,but having said that everyone's different , and if I had to ride a bike I still wouldn't be back  at work because all I'm managing to do at the moment is peddling backwards so I would never get to the calls , I have now started swimming which I feel has really helped .any way good luck hope your recovery is quicker than mine .

• Posted

HI Debbie

Nice to meet you . Yes our jobs are very physical .not to sure if Id describe my company as understanding.

Have just come from hospital appointment today ,thought it for my knee but thyroid . .I Had thyroid biopsy 5 months ago . Think they lost results, and only caught up . Part of thyroid has to be removed. Opp in few months time . A double wammy, feeling like a pin cushion.

Feel free to private message. Im finding it hard to cope with reading all messages.

Regards

LINDA

• Posted

Wishing you a speedy recovery also . And any others reading this reply.

Linda H

NZ

• Posted

Hi Linda 

poor you hope the recovery time is quick for the thyroid problem ,you have all on getting over the TKR if you are anything like me .

work will have to be understanding your health has to come first . 

I know one thing I have learnt from this experience I will go back to work with more of a understanding of what it's like to have poor mobility  which in return hopefully I will be better at my job which is a positive way to look at this whole TKR business  I suppose haha

good luck Linda , keep looking on this site it has really helped me get through this tough time .x

• Posted

thanks for encouragement Debbie ...work will have to wait  ...i think they are of the opinion its plain sailing  ..Saw the Dr today and shes signed me off again  and just laughed at my works opinion 

Not only is my work physical but is timed  .

15 minutes with a patient .45 mins with another  etc  ....  i dont see my self working to time  , am good at hobbling lol .

re thyroid, the hospital  wanted to know if i was  exposed to radiation ... 

Havent told work about this next opp, should be within next few months  , 

am regularly checking this site ,,,,,some great  advice , .

Regards 

Linda  

• Posted

I'm a service manager and was back to full duty in 8 weeks. I have pain if I walk too long or it get stiff if I sit too long, but I was at a 125 in 4 weeks and was walking stairs in two. The key is the PT consistency. I'm at 13weeks and scheduled for the second one next month.

• Posted

Hi Sabrina.

Am not able to do all stairs , flat and low ones ok .like in hospital

Doing all PT , exercising and icing . Very swollen and stiffen up.

Physio thinks may have infection .. had blood taken today.

Not able to return to work , i live in small community so bike to clients ,we are timed at each visit .. i wouldnt pass being timed .

Good luck with your next opp .Lp

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.