Employment Issues with Crohns Anyone?!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Crohns at 18yo just over a year ago. I started my first job 8months later when I wasn't on long term treatment yet, we were still doing tests and deciding what to do next..

long story short, 6 months later I lost my job because apparently I was having to take out too much time to attend hospital appointments And the main thing that triggered this was the fact that I was admitted to hospital for a week at one point. something that was beyond my control...

okay, absence isn't helpful to anyone, but seriously...has anyone else experienced this? Or does anyone else think that it's discriminative? maybe I seem selfish but I was told that if anyone else was taking this much time out then the same would happen to them. But I'm the one living with a life long illness???

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

How awful! Did you declare your illness before you started? As far as I was aware Crohn's was a protected illness and your employer should be supporting you.

• Posted

Yeah I went for 2 separate interviews with them and both times I made it quite clear that I had an illness and tried to explain it. I also told them there was the chance that I could b off every now and again until I get the symptoms under control...

I started chemo about 8weeks ago And I'm doing amazing!!!! their loss if anything lol...But it sucks because if only they had given me that chance to get past the worst point it could've worked out fine.

my main worry is it just bothers me if I cant get employed full time again because they may ask why I was sacked from my precious job and I don't want anyone to be put off... it's just hard to know what to do sometimes!! kinda just adds to the stress and causes flare ups 😦

• Posted

Hello Jaw90561

I was diagnosed with Crohns in January of 2000. I have work jobs only to find myself having to quit because of going in and out of the hospital. And yes, I had to go to and from many doctor appointments. It is very nerve racking and upsetting because I would rather be working. I wanted to work because I enjoy what I do. That also keep me in a depression. I am just getting my symptoms under control. Their is so much that I want to do and this year I plan to start doing it. I also have to keep in mind NO STRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I apply that in everything I do. Hope things get better for you.

• Posted

Thanks for your response:)

yeah...it sounded awful to them because I was going once a week to have bloods done yet it was only a quick 30minutes out...

But I'm the same. I've got to a stage now where things have gotten so much better in regards to my health and I have so many things I want to accomplish. I guess being patient is the best thing to do and things will work out all in good time 😃

I actually read in an article recently that "the more u control your crohns the less it controls you"...which is literally so true...So I maybe need to start doing that more 😉

sorry for the rambles everyone, it's just awesome having a place to talk where everyone understands:D

• Posted

Hello jaw90561

No need to apologize, Crohns is something that you did not ask for. I was so use to working a 9 to 5 and taking orders from someone else. Living with Crohns have shown me other ways of producing an income. Thanks for sharing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.