Enbrel delayed reaction

Posted , 4 users are following.

My Dr gave me a sample of Enbrel to try while waiting for my insurance to approve treatment (they didn't but that's another story).

The Rheumy nurse attempted to show me how to use the pen and pulled the pen out too quick and squirted most of the medication on the floor. My Rheumatologist gave me another pen and told me just to do it at home since I was comfortable doing it myself. That was two weeks ago. Today I have these huge red spots a small one where the nurse tried to inject and a huge one where I injected.

It's very sore and is getting more bruised looking as the day goes on.

I had been on a prednisone taper and have been off prednisone for 2 days now. Has anyone had a delayed reaction like this? Or maybe the prednisone was keeping this at bay? Your thoughts please?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm nearly a year into Enbrel. I've had some bruising but that's all. Your description isn't the same I'm afraid. I was already off prednisone and only taking methotrexate.

It seems to be keeping my symptoms in check and I hope you can find the right meds. Covered meds!

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks you Em!

My insurance company approved Humira. I have it and I plan to start as soon as my cold goes away.

The red spots on my stomach from the Enbrel injections are getting progressively larger as the day goes on. 😕

• Posted

I hope the docs get it right. Every patient responds differently. Please check back with updates because we all understand our disease better from each other's experience.
  • Posted

I am in U.K. and inject methotrexate.Some weeks not much of a mark and other times a big one which gets worse over a few days.Seems worse if I bleed after injection.Atleast I know where not to inject following time.Touch wood always fade in two weeks

• Posted

I had no reaction at all the days after the injection. It just showed up now 2 weeks after! I have been off prednisone for a few days now and the inflammation in my body is going crazy. I wonder if that has something to do with it.
  • Posted

Gail, you know it's all related. But the trigger is the mystery. I seem to remember someone posting skin irritations here a while back but can't remember the specifics. I hope you don't have to avoid a drug because of a side affect. Prednisone is a very powerful substance so it might have set you up for a reaction of some sort. (?) I wouldn't write anything off yet. Keep digging. Best to you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.