encouragement needed

Posted , 6 users are following.

Yes I have been thru this 5 times already along with various other surgeries all on the same knee. I know what to expect I am aware it will be a roller coaster ride thru the recovery process there will be times the pain is going to be unreal and there will be times it will be at a dull roar. Therapy at first is going to be very painful at first ( it always is following a knee surgery ). My L knee has been thru too much and I am sure I can write a whole lot more but as it stands and its getting worse I am nervous and this is why, this will be the 6th replacement overall the 18th surgery I am quite sure I am thoroughly sick of having a knee surgery every 2 to 3 years. Dealing with pain everyday not being able to do things having to go to therapy. I am so worried that something will go wrong its driving me nuts for those that are going thru this and its your first time its hard to imagine the time and effort it takes to get better the days weeks months that every single day it flat out hurts I can understand the frustration the misery the pain I get it now put yourselves in my shoes this will be # 6 and it does not get any easier it more then likely gets worse in that recovery takes even longer. It may seem things are okay but I am quite scared worried and god knows how many other things are crossing my mind as Monday gets closer. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I can certainly understand how worried you must me. I am 5 weeks out from my right knee replacement and am having a hard time still. I hope it goes well and that you will do very well. Good luck. I’m sending healing thoughts and prayers your way for a quick recovery 
    • Posted

Hi there, Jackierae, just reading your post reminded me of my own plight. I endured close to 35 open  synovectomies over a period of 27 years - fighting a horrid disease known as PVNS. I became quite good at enduring the surgeries as I would have one, sometimes two ops per year. I eventually lost the fight fight, and lost the entire joint - having it fully resected & replaced with a distal femur implant. I have to say, the result has been miraculously good. I'm now able to do 90% of the things I've always enjoyed. Take the fight up, and make it 'your b***h' That's the only way I was able to cope - along with a huge effort in recovering.

Good luck & keep on fighting! 

Roger

• Posted

Oops, sorry jackierae, I accidentally put my response to nwf477 to you. But I wish you all the best with your own recovery nonetheless. Keep up the mental strength and the physical side will come.

Regards,

Roger

• Posted

Hi ,

SIix!!! I have no idea.

You have given great advice to others.

Try to stay positive. Again, I have no idea. But trying to think positive will help.

I will say a prayer for you. Stay positive and take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hi there, nwf477, oops, I accidentally replied to the wrong person, sorry!

I was just reading your post reminded me of my own plight. I endured close to 35 open  synovectomies over a period of 27 years - fighting a horrid disease known as PVNS. I became quite good at enduring the surgeries as I would have one, sometimes two ops per year. I eventually lost the fight fight, and lost the entire joint - having it fully resected & replaced with a distal femur implant. I have to say, the result has been miraculously good. I'm now able to do 90% of the things I've always enjoyed. Take the fight up, and make it 'your b***h' That's the only way I was able to cope - along with a huge effort in recovering.

Good luck & keep on fighting! 

Roger

• Posted

As you are aware more so then me having multiple surgeries to fix what should be a simple problem that turns into a nightmare is not fun. There are a few that have had more then one TKR but the list gets smaller when taking into account multiple surgeries on the same knee. I know exactly what to expect just as you did with all of your surgeries. I guess what bugs me more then anything will this be the last one?? I have a very good surgeon he is one of the best in my area. He has been very thorough in making sure no infections everything. I was told what to expect considering the amount of surgeries I have had he cannot promise I will be pain free but he can promise I will feel better. I am pretty fed up with knee surgeries the recovery all of it just want to be done. 
  • Posted

...Sighhh, yes, I hear you. I completely understand where you'd be at. It drives you nuts, because it seems that one only op should fix it all ...and then it just keeps on happening. Worse still from my experience was that even close friends & family - esp work - just didn't understand anything.

I could tell people just found it easier to decide that I wasn't in control of my situation, didn't have a good surgeon etc. It was just too hard for them to listen to/read/research what I was telling them and understand the truth of my predicament. As soon as I'd try to explain, their eyes would give away their boredom and lack of focus/interest.

So I stopped talking to people about it. I'd just gloss over it and keep them in the dark. At least that way, they'd have to actively probe me for info, at which point I could control the conversation. People who've never had chronic pain & disability just cannot/will not ever understand just completely how it can affect every facet of your life.

So stay the course, fight & keep the steely resolve to endure. Make it your mission in life to push the limits, and get everything you can out of what you have. In the end, if the joint ends up as bad as mine was, even a distal femur implant is a better option. Its been the best choice I ever made with my knee.

The very best regards & good luck to you,

Roger

• Posted

I swear this knee stinks the closer I get the more this F--ked up knee hurts. Took a half of a mile walk and now I can hardly walk its great. Already taken 4 pain meds and currently icing as dumb as this sounds I have however remotely thought if the knee was cut off there should be no pain but my luck phantom pain would kick in and how the hell do you treat pain when there is nothing there?? You might say I am a tad frustrated. In some ways I cannot wait for this surgery to take place and on the other hand knowing what to expect from leaving the hospital and the pain and recovery process is driving me nuts. I will not have to wonder about how long it is going to take or why I can only bend after a short time after having been thru this 5X I have a pretty good idea ( I really wish I didn't !!!!!!!!!! ). I think this site is great as much as I b-tch and complain and everyone is patient and kind as well as supportive really helps. I may not have all the answers but I try and offer advice when I can it may sometimes come across wrong but its only meant to help. Most but not all the questions people have asked I have dealt with I wish I knew about this site when I had my first TKR. Really appreciate all the support sorry for my frustration and nervousness I really hope this is going to be it for the L knee. Knowing my luck my L knee gets fixed then the R knee will need work. So as messed up as this is thanks.

• Posted

Thinking about you and praying that this will be the last surgery for you! Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.