Encouragement pleasee!! First day of Zoloft...

Posted , 9 users are following.

Please all you guys who have experience with ssri Ads especially Zoloft to share some encouraging words. Today is my first day on only 6.25 mg ( i was very afraid to take more, and i am very sensitive to medication), I have woken up with major anxiety, it is getting worse and worse. I took Zoloft late last night. I am taking it for panic disorer, depression and GAD. Thank you in advance and wishing you all the best...

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Man I feel your pain anxiety is my nemeses I'm sure you-ll get some good advice soon but in the meantime man just remember it may suck but your going to be ok. it cant really hurt you. even though it sure feels like it can

• Posted

Thank you very much, so sorry for replying so late, unfortunately I gave up after one day on 6.25, now I'm taking 3 mg again. Don't know what to do...I am lying to my family that I am taking a 12.5 mg. I feel so quilty, confused and hopeless. I don't know how to convince myself to take it...

• Posted

how are you doing now? i started taking zoloft 4 1/2 weeks ago. i started taking 3mg and just now have made it to 6.25mg. my dr goal is 12.5mg. i am eating better and sleep is ok. but i feel keyed up and restless. i have ativan to help... i've already tried 2 other meda and dont want to change again.

• Posted

let me know how you go because anti depresants made me feel 10 times worse could only last 3 days on it

• Posted

Not so good, fellow anxiety sufferer, did not last more than day, what ad are you struggling to try?

• Posted

I also am very sensitive to meds. I am on week seven of 25 mg of sertraline. My body is still adjusting to the medication. For the first week the anxiety became worse. But others on this forum were encouraging, and advised me to push forward, as this is normal. The anxiety gradually subsided. There were side effects, but I read that they were typical on this medication. Did your doctor give you something to calm you down for the first few weeks? I had Valium to cope with the short-term side effects. But Valium is only for short-term, never for long-term. Ask your doctor for something because the increase in anxiety at the beginning causes many people to give up.

• Posted

NEELIE have u ever had what feels like brain zaps while taking sertraline? I HAD ONE FIRST time taking it. feels like quick electric shock in head.

• Posted

Thank you very much Neelie, I also have Xanax 0.5 twice a day, it helps a little, makes me very sleepy but last only 3 to 4 hours. I am afraid to take more, but I have read that for panic disorder you can take 4 or more mg...I gave up and I am taking only 3 mg again. Just feel so hopeless and weak...best regards

• Posted

I had the physical sensation that I was plugged into an electric power socket, while at the same time feeling horrendous anxiety. That's why I needed the Valium. My "zaps" were continual. I would not have made it without the reassurance from this site, and the Valiums. I only took the Valiums the first three days of the Sertraline. I do not want to take medication at all. I HAVE to take it, like millions of other people. It helps to know that "this, too, shall pass." And I have slowly adjusted to the SSRI.

• Posted

Sorry to bother you again Neelie, but if you would be kind to answer I would really appreciate it. How are you feeling now, are you better, do you still have anxiety? At what dose did you start and did the side effects last throughout the whole 24 hours and for how many days or were they stronger in certain parts of the day then weaker etc. And how long did it take for anxiety to subside. thanks again, really appreciate it

• Posted

When I first started taking sertraline (8 weeks ago), it was 25 mg. The increased anxiety was so bad, I dropped to 12.5 for a week. Still, I HAD to take Valiums, because I couldn't handle the anxiety and intrusive thoughts. After a week, I went to 25 mg, and I am now considering another increase. It has helped greatly with anxiety, but I still have struggle with:

*waking up every night at 3:00 am with anxiety

*waking every morning with anxiety, which takes about an hour to calm down

*random intrusive thoughts (which have improved because before Sertraline they were constant)

*some upset stomach and diarrhea

*occasional palpitations

*very dry mouth

Since beginning Sertraline anxiety is no longer constant, and I use deep breathing to try to stay calm. I am trying very hard to continue the medication, because others have said to hang in there, and that it gets better. I believe them. Good luck and God bless you.

• Posted

keep going. that is still a very low dose. you will get better on it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.