End of perimenopause

Posted , 12 users are following.

Does anybody know if there is anyway of knowing when perimenopause is close to the end, and menopause is getting closer? I know that absent periods for a year means one has entered menopause but I ask because my periods are light, and my mental symptoms have worsened over the past yr. I'm wondering if this may mean I'm getting closer to the end of this nightmare

3 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Colleen-

I certainly am no expert but am now 2 weeks away from that "official" year w/o a period and understand what you are saying. My periods became increasingly lighter in 2015 while my mental symptoms became increasingly worse. :-(

I am now having all those hot flashes, night sweats/chills, insomnia, and joint pain. Quite frankly, it has been terrible. Ironically, I just had a doctor's appt yesterday about all of this and may try low dose of estrogen for a bit. She said HRT has had a bad rap and obviously isn't for everyone, but for me it could be helpful to get me through this transitional period (I didn't want to know right now her estimation of how long that would be so I didn't ask).

It has helped me to educate myself about menopause as well as seek support. This recent website discovery has been very validating so I don't freak out that I am losing it.

Best wishes to you!

• Posted

Hi BRI, thank you for your reply. Let's just say things are getting much worse and hope my periods stop soon. I'm hopeless thinking I still have to go through hell during the 12 months of missed periods. When does this all end? Peri is bad, but read these symptoms still linger when women are at your stage and even after! Tired of living this way. I also don't understand why some women are put on estrogen, some on progesterone. Im supposed to start progesterone next week but I also read that it doesn't help! I'm so frustrated with all of this.

• Posted

Hi Colleen, I think the reason some women are on estrogen  while some are on progesterone is that the balance between the two hormones varies from woman to woman. It's probably impossible to really gauge those hormones, so I think trying this and that and going with what works is a good way to go. I use progesterone because I am heavily estrogen dominant, and it really works well for me. I hope it does for you too. I have also been taking Rhodiola, which you can Google, and I sleep much better now. 

• Posted

Hi Colleen, how are you.doing now since posting this? Its been 2 years, have you menopause yet? Your symptoms sound like mine , it seem to be getting worse for me. I was getting a break during the evening it seem to lessen up but no more. How are you now?
  • Posted

I had no problem with perimenopause. But, since my periods finished, 9 years ago, I have been living a nightmare. I am trying not to go back on HRT. Have now stopped 9 months ago, but still no relief. For me peri was nothing. Menopause is when my nightmare started.
    • Posted

No kidding? Everyone is so different. If I have to live like this in menopause and post, I'm jumping!!! Hope you find relief💙

• Posted

Think I will be coming with you!! But you might go back to normal once menopause arrives. We are all different. Good luck.
  • Posted

Colleen-

I do understand. Quite frankly I thought everything was ok and I was good to go until the past 6 months. The hard thing is that we are each so different. I have many friends who are relatively okay thru peri and menopause, others in between and others not so great. Maybe peri will be awful for you and menopause good! :-)

For me, the estrogen is being considered because of my sudden and severe joint pain that could be from a drop in estrogen levels. I am not gung-ho on HRT but trying to take things one at a time and keep an open mind. It is so hard when one is so miserable, I know. And to think how happy I was to be close to no more periods. :-/

I wish we could all fast forward thru this hell.

• Posted

Thank you, Jennifer. I just Googled Rhodiola. My usual insomnia has increased 1000% since the pain and menopausal stuff. You mentioned your sleep has improved. Did you have issues with sleep prior to taking it? I am wanting to educate myself about all of this. Any insight you could offer would beost appreciated! Thanks!
  • Posted

Well I feeling OK no periods for two years thinking this is not so bad bleeding started again all tests done regarding scan ultrasound etc everything OK now having hormone checks so I think you have to just see what your body does x
  • Posted

I am just as curious as you are Colleen. I can tell you I use Magnesium for my hot flashes, Power to sleep PM for helping me sleep, and Trace of Minerals for headaches and migraines, essential oils for the pressure when peaing and also the essentials for hair loss. Just wanted to share my story with you.
  • Posted

Hi Coleen, I'm like you wondering too what happens when periods finish..I'm also few weeks away and my periods end..and can't just hope to feel better on the other side,but I guess it's different strokes for different strokes and how we all approach is another worry but we just have to wait and see..I went through to much frightening stuff in peri and would like to see some light at the end , better sleep, No racing heart, less hot flashes, No aniexty, better moods just the more of me less of the crap until it all goes, wait and see I hope for the best 2018 Hugs xxxx 

• Posted

Hi, Colleen yes I'm at the end of peri and God know what a waits me..I have been sail through this quietly at all Anixety panic attacks and bit of the list goes on..you reach the end and you still I here go through more crap, 8 years for me and more again,to much I praying and praying that I get better next year and that goes for everyone else..I just don't know no more.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.