End of the line with drug therapy for Atrial Fibrillation

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking Amiodarone for approx 6 weeks and now have a dry cough that is becoming difficult to live with.  I have had AF since 2004 and have used up my medicine choices.  Does anybody have an opinion about my dilemma?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I started Amiodarone as a last resort in April of this year. My main issue is upset stomach and nausea. I have a dry cough occasionally and attribute that to the reflux caused by the meds. I was prescribed Prilosec 40mg earlier because Fleccinide and Sotolol both had this same effect (and did not control my PAV. In July I had a cryoablation since Amiodarone did not control it either. However, I remain on Amiodarone until it can be determined tthat my aFib is under control (up to four months). You might check with your cardiologist or primary care doctor to see if it is reflux that is causing the dry cough. 
    • Posted

Thanks Mary Jane  for your reply.  I notice sometimes that since being on this drug I get really rotten  heartburn so you may be on the right track re:reflux.  It is certainly worth keeping an eye on.  Thank you again and good luck in the management of your AF,
  • Posted

Hi, yes I cough a bit, and have a few other side effects. I have found if you really eat and drink less, much less,the effects diminish. I have ginger tea with a big spoonful of honey mornings, that stops the cough.(ice tea now as its hot here) This lasts me an hour, no more gulp and rush nowadays. I only take Amio, no other drugs. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.