End stage

Posted , 10 users are following.

Apologies for such a depressing subject, but can someone tell me what end stage copd is.  When you have very severe copd is it an inevitable next stage?  I appreciate that everyone is different but find this very confusing.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I found this article online, which may help you and reassure you:-

http://www.healthline.com/health/copd/end-stage-copd#1

Remember, everyone is different, so if you read a very depressing post from one person who has severe or end-stage COPD, it doesn't necessarily mean that the same situation will apply to you.  With the right treatment, lifestyle changes, medication and support, many people with this disease can live many years ... try not to be too despondent and seek help and support rather than try to cope alone.  Good luck x

• Posted

Morning Nanny.  End stage is really just a clinical term. Copd is classified into 4 stages, mild, moderate, severe and very severe.  So end stage is the last stage classified.  It does not mean end of life.  Many people live for many years with end stage, it does not mean it is THE END by any means. 
    • Posted

Thank you Pippa, so true, we can prolong it if we try, since I know other's who have had it for many years! 
  • Posted

my understanding of end stage copd is that you have reached maximum medical therapy and the need for treating your lung exposure very delicate is very important so that you can minimize your exserbations and hospital visits. I am told you can live a long time with end stage if you are proactive with your medical therapy. hope this helps.
  • Posted

I'm afraid end stage is inevitable, unless something else gets us first, of course:  you must know COPD is incurable?   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.