End stage Achalasia Hi

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi , can anybody explain their own experience with oral antibiotics that dissolve in the orsophagus before reaching the stomach please, or is it just myself

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

If you have trouble with the speed of food passing through into your stomach eg food hangs around in your oesophagus for longer, then some pills can cause damage to the lining of the oesophagus if their covering dissolves, and this can cause a burning injury, depending on the medication involved.

Likewise if your oesophagus has been removed, and food runs through beyond your stomach much quicker, there can be problems with absorption of medication.

In either case a pharmacist can help, eg by dispensing the medication in liquid or some other form.

One of the quickest ways of absorbing some medication by the way is to put the pill under your tongue, but again you should ask the advice of the pharmacist about this.

• Posted

I've had pills stuck before, but have never had one dissolve before. I usually drink water which causes my UES to spasm out which ejects them. This isn't good either, because I am not getting the medications I need. Perhaps a liquid would be helpful.

Good luck.

Donna

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.