End stage Kidney Failure

Posted , 3 users are following.

My brother is in a Dializer Centre in Nigeria. He is 73 and both Kidneys are not functioning. He is not able to walk or care for himself, his legs are heavy and swollen, his stomach is swollen too. He has lost soo much weight and very pale. When the family called a meeting with the Physician, he still adviced us to continue with Dialysis via the neck. I know the prognosis is very bad and was blunt with my suggestion to the family. I would prefer to go for palative care at the moment but the Physician is selling another idea to the family. The family feels I am wrong but I know that the hospital is only looking after their pocket. He is still going on with the dialysis making my family believe that my brother will be healed. He told them some days ago that both Kidneys are White but that he will be better on dialyses. Please advice. I am sure the rest of the family believes that I am just heartless and don't really care about my brother.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I also forgot to add that he has severe Arthiritis and High blood pressure. Very anaemic too.
  • Posted

Hi,

I am so sorry to hear that your brother is so poorly and I understand where you are coming from.  I have end stage renal failure and I too am on dialysis.  I am a lot younger than your brother and I lost my apitie before I started dialysis but after about three weeks I started to feel better and less tired and liked food again.  How long has your brother been on dialysis, if he has been having it for a while then it should be working if it isnt then it is of no benefit to him and in my opinion cruel to put him through it with no benefit.  If he has only been on it a short time then it will need time to see the benefits.  Please provide this information so I can provide further advice

• Posted

Thanks for your prompt reply. Sorry I didn't reply on time. Hope u are feeling a lot better today?

To answer your question, my brother has been on it for over a year. He was not diagnosed early enough, by the time he went to the hospital, he was already in stage 5. 

• Posted

Hi,

Is your brother aware of what is going on and that he is very poorly? What are his thoughts on the matter? I would of thought after a year he would of seen some benefits from the dialysis.  Is he on any water medication to try and help with the swelling of his legs?

• Posted

I am 74 and on dialysis (have been since Dec.) Last year had numerous problems that left me with difficulty caring for myself. Those other problems have been treated and are under control. Now I am leading a full and happy life and well enough to care for others as well as myself.

Had I had dementia or another life-threatening condition - I would not have wished to have it prolonged by dialysis but if there is a possibility of having a meaningful life - carry on and treat what can be treated.

I still have arthritis and high BP, I have old spine injuries that limit my mobility - but I can still live a useful and active life.

What is your brother's view? How great or permanent are his limitations? I can only give an opinion as it applied to me. I cannot give advice regarding your brother.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Thank u for your promt reply. Hope you are feeling good today. 

Dementia has already set in for my brother. He talks about some friends sitting around him and how he cannot see their faces. Also talks about sitting arrangements for some elderly people that we cannot even see. Always sleepy. He has been on dialysis for over a year and now has a catheter on the neck. He has to be force fed with about 3 table spoon of liquid food. He cannot even sit upright. 

He once said one day that he wants to go but no one is taking it as his wish.

• Posted

Hi tilda, I am so sad to hear about your brother. I am sure most people would support your view that palliative care would be the best treatment. It cannnot be a happy life to be seeing, in a confused manner, what is not there without having the additional distressing problems. I sincerely hope that those caring for him will soon choose to use only those treatments that will give him comfort and peace.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.