End type deformity, Labral tear, acetabulum - The Meaning?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Good afternoon,

I am 28-years-old athletic male, have been playing sports regularly until about a year and a half ago where I had to stop due to groin, hip, back pain. My knees also kept going.

I had an MRI Arthrogram which has confirmed “End type deformity, Labral Tear, Acetabulum”

What does all this mean as hospital, GP & Sports medicine have been pushing me from pillar to post.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Kieran

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

According to my PT, this is a common sports injury.  She gave me some info from a sports injury website as follows:

"Anatomy

The socket of the hip joint that the thigh bone sits in is called the acetabulum. This is lined by a ring of cartilage called the labrum. The labrum supplies cushioning and support for the hip joint. Tears can occur in the labrum, also known as a hip labral tear or acetabular labral tear. Tears to the labrum are being diagnosed more often due to the improvements and wider availability of MRI scans which is the only way to diagnose a labral tear 100%.

Causes

Labral tears can be acute, caused by trauma such as traffic accidents, collisions and bad falls, falling on to the outside of the hip or twisting on a hip that has a lot of weight on it.*

Their view on treatment was: Treatment usually requires surgery known as debridement via an arthroscopy (key-hole surgery). The torn part of the labrum is removed. Generally results from this procedure are very good. A rehabilitation program should be followed after surgery to restore full strength and movement to the hip joint and prevent further injuries or instability. If left the injury could degenerate into a worn hip joint with eroding of the hard cartilage on the ends of the bone and development of Osteoarthritis in the hip.

Hope this info helps.

• Posted

I forgot to add - I had an arthroscopy done on my ankle a couple of years after repairs to a major injury.  It's a quick and simple procedure and recovery was good, very effective it was too - it removed a substantial amount of pain and immobility.  Your own surgeon should be able to advise you on specific recovery time etc.

• Posted

I’m glad to hear that surgery was successful for you after similar surgery.

I am told the surgeon is the only person in Leicestershire who is able to carry out whatever surgery I am being referred for.

• Posted

Hi Lotti,

Thank you for the information regarding the Labral Tear.

Am I right in assuming this is what has happened to the Acetabulum?

Regarding the “End Type Deformity” - Any inkling as to what this means or is it linked to the Labral Tear?

The letter reads:

The MRI Arthrogram has confirmed End Type Deformity, Labral Tear, Acetabulum.

I have been referred to a surgeon in the UK called Mr Kulkarni.

I appreciate your time, the pain is quite bad and currently taking 8x 30mg Codeine each day to help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.