Endolymphatic sac decompression

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi, just see consultant again, after grommets, steroid injections and Gentamicin injections. I have to have a endoly photic sac decompression operation. I am terrified, nothing has been explained. I really don't know what to expect. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Thanks Nancy, you never get two days the same and it's hard to explain to others. Never mind we keep smiling x
  • Posted

Endolympahtic Sac Decompression and Shunt Insertion - For Meniere's Disease

This operation is performed in patients with Meniere’s disease to stop or help control the vertigo attacks. It is occasionally performed to stop a progressive hearing loss from continuing to decline. It is the only surgery that has the potential to reverse what is going awry in the ear, but maintain the residual balance and hearing at pre-operative levels.

The procedure is done on an out patient basis in the hospital or surgery center under general anesthesia. It takes 1-1.5 hours.

An incision is performed behind the ear and the mastoid bone is opened. The bone is removed from the base of the back of the brain through the mastoid until the endolymphatic sac is identified. Bone is then completely removed from the sac. A laser is sued to make a hole in the outer layer of the sac, and a silastic shunt called an Austin shunt is inserted through the hole into the sac. The incision is closed and the person is brought to the recovery room and goes home about an hour after waking up.

Post-op care:

Antibiotics are taken for a week to prevent infection. There is little pain and most people use over the counter medications for the pain. Vicodin is occasionally used. The patient can return to work the following day. The hearing is clogged for a few weeks and then gradually returns to normal.

Complications:

Vertigo: The biggest risk is that the surgery may not be effective. Vertigo attacks may be unchanged in severity or frequency. 10-25% of patients may feel they have not benefited form the surgery. Vertigo is seldom worsened by the surgery

Hearing Loss: The hearing can worsen after surgery, but this is rare. About 25% of patients will have improved, or more stable hearing. Rarely can there be a significant worsening of hearing, but Meniere’s disease does cause fluctuation in hearing and so this can also occur immediately after surgery.

Tinnitus: This is usually unchanged by the surgery. It can occasionally worsen, but this is rare. Some patients can hear their heartbeat in the ear after surgery.

Facial Nerve Injury: This can occur after any ear surgery. It is extremely rare.

Spinal fluid leak: This is extremely rare but can lead to meningitis.

• Posted

Thank you so much. I think in the past I read so much that contradicted itself about the gentamicin. I scared and confused myself.

Thanks again 

• Posted

I had the surgery on 10/24 and I've been living a living hell ever since. Dizzy, nauseous, vision issues and etc. not hungry and etc. get educated before you have the surgery

• Posted

Hi Veronica,

Wondering if you can comment on this - are you still suggering? Has there been any improvement to your symptoms?

Many thanks!

• Posted

I had the surgery last year. It is very rough. You will need two weeks to recover. At least. It's a 50/50 gamble. Doctors have a hard time finding the sac. I hope it works out for you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.