endolympmatic sac decompress surgery and now extreme fullness in ear

Posted , 4 users are following.

After having endolympmatic sac decompression surgery for menieres disease, my ear is extremely full and I have echoing in my ear when I tallk.

Any suggestions?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I used to experience this also. After the steroid injections it has improved tremendously and only have this problem once every few months and only lasts maybe 1/2 a day. I know how frustrating that sound is, I had it most of my life off and on. I hope you find something to help you, that's miserable. Praying for you!

• Posted

sounds like you may have either inflamation or fluid buildup in the inner ear.  How recently was the surgery?  Are you taking a diuretic and/or have you had intratympatic steroid injections?   If not you may want to discuss these treatments and Betahistine with your ENT for his advice.  Good luck. 

Another thought....do you have allergies? If so, how are they being managed?

• Posted

Echoing in the ear probably means that a fistula has been created in the inner ear following the surgery, or the creation of superior semicircular canal dehiscence.  You will neeed a CT scan of the temporal bone.  Tell your surgeons about this.  This is not a rare problem following this surgery.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiology

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.