Endometrial ablation

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all I had this done in March 2015. After it I started gaining weight. since then I gained 22 lbs in space of 10 months. Worse than that my periods got worse they changed from being heavy to unmanageable I had 2 days of flooding and one day with pain so severe I could not leave the house. I look 5 months pregnant. On 18 Jan I had a UTE done but I won't see results until mid July. I am convinced that the Endo Abalation caused my symptoms to get worse. Before I had it the Gyn said it will either work or I will be no worse off. Complete lie. I just wondered if other people found that they got worse.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

How did they do the ablation, Patricia? I had it done about 12 years ago using a microwave 'wand' inserted into the uterus. I did not have fibroids then only very heavy periods. For me it worked, and my periods took maybe a couple of years to return to being heavy, and when I went back again for a scan my fibroids were diagnosed, there were several but very small.

It has caused me an ongoing problem though as my uterus became misshapen and shrivelled, so it was not possible after that to insert a coil or to do a uteroscopy (I had to be sedated to have a biopsy a year ago to rule out endometrial cancer). Not that the fibroids seemed to mind......

• Posted

Hi Christine I had the same done as you and it worked for a few months then everything got worse. Gynocologist said my uterus was out of shape but she put it down to the Fibroid. One thing though I had skin hanging down from my bits (sorry if that tmi) it just looked like it was spare. Once I had the UFI done on 18 Jan it's gone which I know does not make sense but it has. I only have one large fibroid so now just waiting for shrinkage and relief from my symptoms just don't want major surgery but I think this has worked my belly has gone down already and no flooding fingers crossed it works. Hope you managed to find treatment for yours.
    • Posted

Hi Patricia

Thank for your kind words, 😘 I had my ovaries removed as I had cysts on them and my mum had ovarian cancer and passed at the age of 42 so I decided to have them out too, I have had problems with pain and periods since I was young x when I had my oblation done my gynie said I did not have endo but wen I had my hysterectomy my new gynie advised I did? Very strange but my decision was to have them out I'm 44 had my kids so no need to keep them also for peace of mind xxxx

• Posted

Hi Nicola so sorry your Mum died so young and I can completely understand why you had your ovaries out. that is strange about why the 2 different Gynocologist had different versions of what you had. I have a friend who gets cysts on her ovaries and she has had plenty of visits to A and E and suffers a lot with them it seems very painful. But if I had a family link with ovarian cancer then a Hysteretomy is a good thing. The only thing I am against are women having them for Fibroids without being told all her options by a Gynocologist. I hope you are now recovered fully
    • Posted

Hiya

Yes my mum was young which made me have to have mine out x I also agree regarding fibroids my mum in law has had them for years and she refused a hysterectomy xx I have suffered for years it go in hospital for major surgery again 31st if this month having vertical cut to remove mass adhesions which is ruining my life 😱 hopefully after this I will have a good few years pain free yay 😄 xx will keep you informed xxx

• Posted

Hiya

I had the ablation 2 year ago for heavy periods and sterilised as they would not give me hysterectomy 😩 this worked for around four and a half month then heavy periods along with pain I saw a new gynie who agreed the hysterectomy also had ovaries removed x all went well then pain left side abdominal u gave mass adhesions so going in for open vertical surgery on 31st March to have them removed, I am more scared about this than my hysterectomy. I hope you get help you need xxx Nic

• Posted

Hi Nicola that sounds painful. Hope you get relief soon I have had UFE so now waiting to see if it works as the process takes 6 months to complete. I know you had a Hysterectomy but why did they remove the ovaries as fibroids only affect the womb? You mentioned pain on the left side and mass adhesions and having open vertical surgery. Not sure what that is but someone on this site will. Good luck and get well really soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.