Endometrial Ablation VS. Mirena IUD

Posted , 9 users are following.

So my Doctor gave me some bless evasive options for my fibroids. The Mirena IUD and Endometrial Ablation. Who has had these, and please give me your experiences. Thank you so much.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I've had two Mirena IUD and both came out within weeks of fitting. I continually bled while I had them and they didn't help the fibroids at all. Doc was supposed to do Ablation but can only do if Uterus is a certain size.

• Posted

I tried Morena first helped me for about a month than the bleeding became even worse got even more bloated so I had it taken out. After that did the uterine fibroid embolization which was my savior on 7/26. My bleeding stopped with just having breakthrough bleeding which stopped after my first cycle. first cycle was normal lasted 2-3 days just heavy so assuming that was my body getting rid of the excess blood.

My second cycle since the procedure will be next week. I'm still tired but I doubt my blood levels are back to normal yet. But otherwise so much better hopefully I never have to use a super or superplus tampon every hour again 😀

• Posted

Hi, I had both and both had short term benefits. With the Mirena I didnt bleed for 9 months then I spotted constantly but it also gave me acne all over my back! I had it in my younger years and it returned wirh a vengeance it took years to settle down again. The ablation for me was great at first it wasn't too painful and recovery was quick, my periods became light but about 2 yea later I began spotting again in between periods and this time I had fibroids making my periods heavier again. I've now had a hysterectomy including ovaries and am period free but also with other complications. I just can't seem to win lol!

Hopefully it works better for you!

• Posted

I had endometrial ablation and the resection and removal of a submucous fibroid followed by the insertion of a  Mirena coil on 27th May 2016.  I had spotting initially for a couple of weeks but I have not had a period since 3rd May and for this I am pleased.  However, I should say that I have tried the Mirena on 3 previous occasions and it has not always worked for me, use to get breakouts, oily skin, bloating, weight gain, spotting and developed an ovarian cyst, so I have had this device removed 3 times previously!.  On this occassion I believe it was the endo ablation that was successful and the Mirena coil has helped delay any periods but it is still early days.  I have since has UFE on 27th July, this is eventually to help reduce the bulking over time produced by my other 5 fibroids.
  • Posted

I had both. First the ablation which went smoothly including recovery. It helped for about two years. Then the Mirena. That too helped for about 2 years. So I wouldn't discourage you from trying them. Both of those are lower risk than the embolism.

My embolism results are mixed so far. It's been 5 months and I've had one good month. Altho generally speaking it has been an improvement. So I'm hopeful things will continue to improve.

It's worth noting that when my iud was removed several weeks prior to the embolism that the bleeding became dramatically worse. So I'm positive the iud was helping. Altho maybe not as much as I would have liked at that point.

Hope this helps and good luck

• Posted

hello juzwiakl had mymomectomy in the past . sorry l never had merna IUD and Endometrial Ablation.
  • Posted

I had an ablation and IUD inserted in 2015... It was the best thing I've ever done!

Up until then, I was suffering 2 week periods, 2 weeks off and I would be exhausted. I was 41, unable to work and a mess!

I just had a 2nd ablation (not as invasive) and another IUD inserted in Oct 2020... I highly recommend this procedure for any woman experiencing heavy and dibilitating periods...

The only side effect I've had is mild cramping and light bleeding for 2 days after each procedure.

I'm turning 47 this Aug and am living my best and active life ever!

• Posted

You make a strong case! I have been bleeding v heavy for over 8 weeks. My doctor has recomended an IUD, but I've always done terrible on BC pills/shot etc

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.