Endometrial biopsy positive

Posted , 12 users are following.

sad Got a bit of a shock today, my consultant phoned me to tell me that the biopsy I had last Friday was positive for Cancerous cells, I suppose I half expected it but still a bit of a jolt! Hopefully it is all contained within the uterus He thinks as does my GP that it is, I have to have a total hysterectomy, just waiting for a date, just wondering has anyone else had a similar diagnosis? I am fairly upbeat about it basically as I now know which direction we will be going in, everything has been a bit up in the air for the past few weeks.

5 likes, 245 replies

245 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Dear phoebewhite, just read all your discussions! All the best for your op from me in Australia. I've just come home from hospital, total hysterectomy done laparoscopically due to problems with fibroids. It's much better to avoid a big incision and you'll be up and around in no time without the threat of anything spreading. Take some peppermint water mixed with a little Mylanta after day 2 for your bowel and some bran on your breakfast. A wonderful nurse gave me that remedy! You will be fine with your happy personality.
    • Posted

Hi debbie, your encouraging post couldn't have come at a better time, I just told my hubby I wasn't having it done, I was going to run away and live on a desert island with just a few birds/animals for company and going to live on pineapples lol, I am SO nervous and still have a week to go! I have to go in for pre-op tests tomorrow. What is Mylanta? I'll look it up. Thanks again.
    • Posted

Welcome to the forum and best wishes for a speedy recovery!
    • Posted

Hope your pre-op tests went well today and put your mind at rest. For me it was worst in the week before the op. On the day before, I was calmer and more resigned to my fate, and I slept well the night before. Probably exhausted myself from the weeks of worry before. Have you got some treats lined up for afterwards?
    • Posted

Hi again, yeah I do feel really nervous, it's not my first time in hospital and I worked in one for 5-6 years so know the workings of one, I keep getting bouts of depression, they just hit me all of a sudden, you and fibroidy and others have been (are being) a great help, you have especially as you have had the same as me, I had a load of stuff through from the hospital on Saturday and I know that they have to tell you the negative along with the positive but I wish I hadn't had to read it, it's true what they say 'a little knowledge is a bad thing' (or something like that).

Going for pre-op tests tomorrow so fingers crossed all will be well. Thanks again.

• Posted

Hi Phoebe, glad the support you have on here from everyone is helping. its great to read that others are going through the same and we can exchange tips. I am having open myomectomy so not looking forward to the huge incision and the bed rest, plus i have never been in hospital before. i have my pre op tests next year, let me know how they go - sure they will be fine, as far as i know its just blood test, ecg type things but can't think what else, my letter says allow 3-6 hours ! The negative is such a small chance and the benefits far outwiegh the risks.
    • Posted

Hi Fibroidy, yes it is great to have you ladies to 'talk' to my hubby is very good but men really can't understand ladies problems can they?

I was told that the pr-op stuff would take an hour, 3-6hrs crikey that's a long time, your having an incision and I'm having it all yanked out of my lady parts don't know which is worse, I was going to watch the op done on youtube but eeeek after 10 seconds I very quickly turned my laptop off, best not knowing.

Tell me something, why do you think that the vast majority of Gynaecologists are men? there are 3 at the hospital I am going to and all men, doesn't bother me just wondered, the guy I am seeing said that the fact I had a large baby (9lb 13oz) that it makes his job much easier, the mind boggles LOL!

• Posted

lol, its so true my hubby is fab but only a lady can really understand. My gyna is acutally a lovely lady, wouldn't bother me either way, but this lady is really great - very understanding. gyne men - i guess its the same as why all the successful chefs are men lol

I made the mistake of watching an open myomectomy it was not for the faint hearted ! I am sure my pre op will be lots of waiting around as its a big london hospital, i can't see what they would do for 3 hrs, i was thinking about an hour. WOW, that is a big baby, well done you, you must have been huge.

I'll be thinking of you on the day. I don;t have a date yet, once i have my pre op they will give me date

• Posted

Yes HUGE!! and had him naturally................ouch, and on that note.

Nighty night xx

• Posted

You have beaten me there, Phoebe. My son was a mere 9lb 8oz, and yes he came naturally at home, which was an eye watering experience. I was as big as a bus. (2nd baby) I wonder if this is a trend for endometrial problems later on...

I don't remember getting any information about the hysterectomy apart from the basic NHS leaflet. Felt very much kept in the dark about it all.

• Posted

Hi, wow another big baby, well done you. My consultant says that being overweight is a strong factor in this type of cancer as fat cells develop into estrogen and it is excessive estrogen which in turn can cause cancer, I think that's right, and yes I am a bit overweight I don't deny it, I will be working hard to do something about it after the op, you know shut the stable door.....blah blah! wink
    • Posted

Hi fibroidy, just to let you know that I had pre-ops this morning, they took 1 and 1/2hrs, bloods taken, ecg, BP,weight,height etc, they had to get a doctor to take my blood as I never give it up easily except when I bleed in other ways which is so typical, I have to go back Friday for a second blood test to cross match for the surgery should I need it, why they couldn't do it all together I have no idea, I was told that I will probably be first on the list Monday, everyone is worried I will leg it if I have to wait around, I just want it over with now, yes, I am nervous, that's natural and the thought of someone poking around while you are asleep.....................eekeeek! I asked if I could be knocked out before they take me to theatre, I want to be asleep before I am taking in, or better still anaesthetise me while I'm still at home LOL wink
    • Posted

Hi phoebe, Mylanta is just a reflux medicine. The other great thing I've got onto is Buscopan Forte. A tablet that stops stomache cramping and the best thing I stumbled on via a site in Australia called Hysta sistas! Similar to this site.i love this site 💗it has been so helpful!  Love talking with you all and thankyou for your well wishes! Thankyou also Informed! 

You will be fine, you're only nervous because you're a clever cookie and research everything!😃 I couldn't get over how improved the anasthetic was from my last! It was actually fantastic! No grogginess, just one minute your awake and the next, you're in your room ordering lunch with the nurse! Not much pain as they have you hooked up to a press when you like pain killer. The gas pain went with heat packs, it was my bowel pain( like labour pains) that bothered me. I ate well and even though my bowel was working the cramping from my " lazy bowel" was a bit cruel! No one had said that when you're in surgery your bowel gets lazy and afterwards this is a common complaint. Tell the nurses, peppermint water/ Mylanta, Buscopan, even peppermint tea will help. Ask for help with whatever you need and tell your hubby he has to learn to do the housework for when you come home. All the best for now. I will be sending love and hugs from Australia especially for you x😘💗

• Posted

Hi Debbie, thanks, I had my pre-ops yesterday and have to have one last lot of blood taken Friday to cross match my blood. I was told by the nurse about possible constipation so am prepared for that, I have heard of Buscopan so will get some, Don't think we can get Mylanta here though, I love peppermint tea so always have some of that in the cupboard. I'll be OK once I get there on Monday I will resigned to my fate LOL! as for my hubby I think I might send him to his cousin in your beautiful country as he is driving me around the bend, keeps watching me and I having even had the op yet.

Thanks again for your good wishes, I send mine to you for your continued recovery.

Phoebe xx

• Posted

I found the best thing after the hysterectomy was to go for a little walk along our road and have a good fart along the way. It had me chuckling away to myself, which really cheered me up.
    • Posted

lol LOL that made me laugh! I live out in the country so I could go into the little private copse at the back of my house with the dogs and I could blame them!! I am getting so nervous now, though every now and then I feel very positive and just want it over with, hubby (poor guy) is annoying the heck out of me, I don't mean to but I am getting so ratty with him.
    • Posted

lol, good to know what the pre op clinic is. will be praying for you on monday. Just don't leg it, just keep thinking it has to be done, there is no alternative ! stay poitive, don't stress, get to that dessert island with turqiouse waters and palm trees

• Posted

Hi, no I won't leg it, I had a really bad day yesterday very stressed out, then the bleeding began (slightly) and reminded me why I can't not have this op done, I have to go and have this last bit of blood taken today for cross match purposes, then that's it....all systems go!

• Posted

My sister said to me yesterday, "Remember 1000's of women had this done before you and 1000's will have it done after you", Why is she the sensible one? LOL! x
    • Posted

I've been thinking of you too, Phoebe. Just want to say that my op turned out 1000 times better than I thought it was going to be, and your da Vinci operation will be better than that. To my great surprise I woke up in very good spirits, and in a very good mood. Quite the opposite to how I expected to be feeling. I was so excited to see my first visitors later that day, as I had thought I would be grumpy and tearful and that I wouldn't want to see anybody after the op, and that I'd be feeling really down. Good grief no! I was really excited to see the family come and have a coffee with me, (which I promptly threw up again, much to daughter's amusement!), and entertain my visitors with some comical burps. The farts came later. We will all be thinking of you, and they will take really good care of you. Enjoy all the care and fuss while you can! You deserve it.
    • Posted

Hi Informed, I have just got back from having my final lot of bloods taken was then taken up to the ward to show me where I will be going, the nurses are all so pleasant, not now having da-vinci as am going to cottage hospital instead of the big hospital where 'Leonardo' is housed, I am having a laparoscopically assisted VH, much the same but without the robot, don't feel quite so nervous at the moment......watch this space. razz
    • Posted

How lovely to have been shown the ward and met the nurses (did you say you were able to go privately?).  I had a dreadful time in the NHS hospital I was in and only stayed 1 night, but now have to go back and do it all again, but with an even longer stay!

xxx

• Posted

Same op as what I had. I also felt a lot better, once I'd been shown the small 4 bed ward, where I would be. My mum was amazed to visit me the next day and see me pottering about in my slippers. I felt groggy in the morning, but once all the tubes had been taken out I felt ready to go just 26 hours after the op. 48 hours later I was going for coffee at a garden centre!
    • Posted

Kath, my day surgery for my biopsy was simply terrible at the NHS hospital I was at. Talk about being a sheep put through the dip, it was horrible, and I dreaded going in for the hysterectomy 8 weeks later, but it was completely different 2nd time around. People were caring and kind and it was a very different experience, even though at the same hospital. I hope you'll have a much better time next time.
    • Posted

I can't afford private however a family member kindly offered to pay for it for me as they know what a nervous wreck I am, the hospital is just a 34 bed and it is situated in the middle of the country, literally in the middle of fields, it's not particularly easy to get to, I'd get lost if I was on my own, I am agoraphobic and don't usually go further than 3 miles from my home and sometimes I find that difficult, I couldn't have an MRI done as I can't go in the big county hospital near us, it's mad as I was an auxiliary for years but certain things in life happenend to get me like I am today. so yes very lucky to have someone who has a few more pennies than me and could help.
    • Posted

Thanks, it is really encouraging to hear how you felt afterwards, I know I will be ok and have had ops before, the first when I was just 9, but because of my other problems now things just seem magnified this time, I am taking my tablet in with me so will post on here as soon as I can and let you know how it went. I couldn't have got through this without you ladies to talk to, oh dear here come the tears again cry I cry at the slightest thing at the moment, one of my dogs bought me a shoe earlier and I started crying then as well LOL! (she doesn't chew just moves things about.) Anyway I think I'll go to my happy place for a while and have a cuppa. Phoebe xx
    • Posted

I'm so pleased for you Phoebe!  It sounds a lovely hospital.  It's a shame we couldn't be going in together to the same hospital.  We could have compared notes about our ops afterwards (and also about our time on that dessert island of yours)!

Take care.

xxx

• Posted

Thank you Informed.  That has made me feel better.  When I had the first op to remove cyst, ovaries and fallopian tubes (nearly 4 hours in surgery because of some problems with endometriosis), the nurse told me to get out of bed first thing the next morning.  I said I didn't know how to (tubes everywhere) and I was finding it difficult to move so didn't know if I could (I meant without help).  She told me that 'of course I could, I'd only had keyhole surgery!'  And that about sums up the rest of my time in there.  So I do hope you are right and things will be better this time.

How long did you have to stay in after your hysterectomy?  Did they manage to do it keyhole? 

• Posted

Yes indeed!  I'm there for you all the way, and anytime.

xxxxxxxx

• Posted

Bless you, and as soon as I am out of my anaesthetic 'stupor' I will be there for you, and the other ladies too. Phoebe xxx
    • Posted

I had the laparoscopic vaginal hysterectomy (keyhole) and stayed only one night, so home the next day. I had also assumed you couldn't move out of bed because of the tubes, and they seemed in no rush to remove these next morning, that the consultant actually told the nurse off for not having detached the tubes and got me out of bed earlier. He had come to show me the MRI scans which I had asked to have a look at, so I had to trundle along to reception in my nighty carrying the catheter bag myself. The other nurse gone off in a huff, it was a while before I could find some kind soul to relieve me of that awful catheter. 

What they don't take into account is that you might not have had much sleep the night before. An elderly lady was brought into our ward during the night and her alarms were going off all night, and then there are the blood pressure checks done regularly. Any normal person would find it hard to get out of bed the next morning after a night in a ward!

• Posted

I am so sorry that you and Kathy have had such awful experiences in NHS hospitals, it shouldn't be like that and it's no wonder the NHS is getting such a bad name, having said that I have to say that my couple of times in large hospitals haven't been too bad, I had my gall bladder out about 15 years ago in the RSCH in Guildford and they couldn't have been nicer though I was 'kicked' out a bit too soon and developped a post op infection (quickly sorted by my GP) apart from that all was good, the nurses were really kind etc, I can't believe you were only in one night! that's not long is it?
    • Posted

Couldn't have put it better myself, Informed.  It sounds like we may have been in the same hospital (and even had the same nurse!)!  I'm really worried that I may have to be in for 5 - 7 days this time.  I even asked if I could have the op done at another hospital, which didn't seem to go down too well.  The surgeon I had is very good at what he does, apparently, so that is the main thing.  But the after care was horrendous, and there are other incidences I haven't mentioned, and I was only in 1 night on that occasion!  I couldn't agree more about the sleep thing.  I dosed off about 10.00pm on the night after my op, only to be woken up at 12.00 for my blood pressure to be taken.  People were in and out all night and just left the doors wide open to the corridor, so buzzers were going, and phones were ringing (not that they got answered very quickly), hence I didn't get any more sleep that night and was exhausted when I was told to get out of bed the next morning.  I too was told I could carry everything round with me.  In the end, they took the drain off of the stand and pinned it to my gown. 

xxxxKathy

• Posted

I'm glad that you have had a positive experience with hospitals.  That's how it should be!  PS  I'm still thinking about you.

xxxxKathy

• Posted

Thanks Kathy, this time Monday it will all be over and done hopefully.

I hope your next hospital experience is a better one, and you are withing your rights to see if you can go to another hospital, did you mention it to your GP? your surgeon will quite possibly operrate at 2-3 different hospitals, my hubby had a knee replacement last year and was given 2 choices and that wasn't private. If the moderators don't delete this post, check out this website it might be of some help. Phoebe xx

http://www.chooseandbook.nhs.uk/patients/choosing-your

• Posted

Yep thought they might do that. try this.

choose and book . nhs . uk

• Posted

LOL, lol, sorry, the post that was deleted included a link to a website called 'choose and book . nhs .uk' I have had to break it up as link to other websites get moderated, I had said that you were entitled to ask to go to another hospital and that your surgeon probably operates at others, my hubby had an op last year and was given 2 options on NHS so it might be worth persuing? xx
    • Posted

Ah interesting.  But I guess I need a password or something?  I haven't had a letter about my second op yet.
    • Posted

Thanks Phoebe.  Done before it was deleted!  You are in my thoughts and prayers for tomorrow.  When you feel up to it, please let me know how you are.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Kathy

• Posted

Thanks Kathy, I will, I have been keeping myself really busy today, I'm not too nervous at the moment though my tummy is a bit 'topsy turvy' I am getting all my housework up to date etc so don't have to worry about it when I get home, just going to take the dogs for their mid day walk while the sun is out, it's a glorious day.

Take care Phoebe xxxxxx

• Posted

My son laughed at me last night he looked at the soft toys I keep on a shelf in my bedroom and jokingly said 'which one are you taking with you?' to which I replied 'look in my bag' I have a small soft toy Rottweiller who is tucked in my bag to look after me. lol! he couldn't believe it, when my hubby went into have a knee op last year I hid a  little Scottie dog in his bag and the nurses on the ward made him put it on his bedside cupboard, :0)
    • Posted

Hi Debbie, you had your hysterctomy done just before me, how are you getting along? Phoebe x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.