Endometrial cancer survivors

Posted , 6 users are following.

I’m having a full laposcopic hysterectomy on Wednesday May 2 and am scared to death. I was diagnosed with endometrium cancer on March 8 following 2 biopsies. The good news is it’s grade 1 (not Stage 1). My surgeon said they usually go hand in hand. She said there’s a 90 +++++ chance that surgery is all i’ll need. I’m scared I’ll be the small percentage. Has anyone out there had endometrium cancer (uterus cancer) or know of someone who did.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I am week 9 post op of the Davinci Laparoscopic Hysterectomy. I was diagnosed on Jan 27th with endometrial cancer stage 1. They sent everything off to pathology while I was on the surgical table or rather hanging (youre upside down with the robotic surgery) to check if it had spread. It was only in the lining so no further treatment other than quarterly checks. It will be a hard surgery. I've only just started to feel normal again and I was quite active. Hiking, biking, yoga, gardening, running a business and working for a corporate corporation. Take it slow, get all the help you can, don't bother with the house or laundry, know this is only temporary and as they say "if you have to have any of the "woman cancers" this is the best one to have. My GYN told me I would live to be a 100 if I took care of myself, that this cancer wasn't going to do me in.

So I got 50 more years left to go God willing. I was just ready to have the cancer out of me. I was in surgery 26 days after diagnosis to my relief.

Good for you for catching it early. Take care and holler if you have any questions.

Best of wishes

Dee

• Posted

Thank you for replying. You are so lucky! I am so happy for you. I hope i’m just as lucky.  I will keep you posted! Thank you! 
  • Posted

Mary -this is a question I can answer I had endo cancer at 51, as did my Mum at 51, and would you believe it my sister also at 51, and the Dr's say there is no family links that are known of.

?I am now 66, so that is 15 years later, and Mum lived to 87 when she had a massive stroke that she survived but in a coma, we had to just let her go, not a very happy Xmas that year.

?Thank god like you it was discovered in the early stages, Dr and senior nurse sister Sibling, yes the one who also got the same, said to me it is usually discovered except for someone older who has ignored unusual bleeding long after change of life, and in ignoring those symptoms they put their lives in danger, and apparently it is very slow growing which is a bonus when you hear all the horror stories about other cancers.

?You will be fine, take it easy, forget about housework, get someone in, or get help from family, it is a big surgery, or it was for me, about 6 weeks before able to do much at all, but after that up and away, no slowing me down.

?My surgery was 12 days after diagnoses via D + C, they were not even looking for a cancer, so came as a surprise to even the Dr's as they had discharged me from hospital after D + C.

Only symptom I had was extremely heavy bleeding with periods that I had been complaining about for the previous 4 - 5 years, multiple D + C could find no cause other than hormonal, and when they tried that only made me sick, vomiting, itching skin, and then enventally a heomerage where I needed 3 units of blood that resulted in final D+C that found the endo cancer.

• Posted

Thank you for replying. That’s an incredible story. What are the chances of you all getting Endo cancer at 51?! I hope and pray i’ll  be okay. I will keep you posted.
  • Posted

I had laposcopic surgery for endometrial cancer 6 weeks ago. I was grade 3 so the Dr told me to expect the worst. Mine turned out to be stage 1b. My lymph glands were removed up by my aorta, they turned out to be clear. Since yours is grade 1 I bet you will only need surgery. I will be having 3 radiation treatments when I am fully healed. Take it easy afterwards. You will feel like being very active one day and the next day you may have more discomfort and perhaps spotting. My tumor was half way into the myometrium. If it had been less than that I wouldn't need the radiation. It was all so frightening. I know how you feel believe you will be fine.

• Posted

Judy, thank you so much for encouraging me. I’m so happy yours turned out to be stage 1b. It could have been a lot worse it being grade 3. Good luck with the radiation treatments and keep me posted as will I. Tomorrow is my BIG day!!!!🤗

• Posted

Thinking of you today, I was diagnosed 3 years ago at stage1A, so know how you must be feeling.

Good luck I'm sure all will be fine

oxox Phoebe.

• Posted

Hi, Mary,

Sorry not to reply sooner.  I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer in 2016, and staged after the surgery at 1a, no spread to the adjacent lymph nodes.  Nothing further needed.  I am not writing this to scare you, because I am sure that you will come through this entirely well.  

My oncologist continued to monitor me every 3 months. All my blood work looked good.  Unfortunately, I didn't feel recovered and couldn't seem to get my strength back.  It is important to know that the only cancer that can be shown by a CT scan is when the cells grow to the size of roughly a pencil eraser. 

Unfortunately, I felt a tumor in the muscle of my abdomen about a year later, just as my oncologist was about to arrange for a CT scan.  The resulting CT scan  and MRI showed that growth, as well as cancer cells in lymph nodes in my groin.  This wasn't a reoccurrence. The cancer had been there all the time.

Since August, 2017, I have had 6 months of chemo every 3 weeks, surgery and am now having radiation. I am grateful to have the chance to finally deal with this.

My suggestion for you is that you monitor your own health, especially how you feel.  If something doesn't seem right, speak up.  Don't let anyone make you feel foolish.  Learn about what you're gong through, so you can participate in your own recovery.  

Please know that you're in my prayers. xx     

• Posted

Linda, i’m sorry to hear about this but am sure you’re going to be just fine.  I kept asking my husband, why they didn’t do a CT scan just in case. His reply to reassure me was” I’m sure if you needed one, they would have  done one”. I had my surgery 7 hours ago. That’s one question I will ask my Gynecologist at follow-up. Thank you!!!  Best of luck to you! You are in my prayers!🤗

• Posted

Thank you for your prayers.  I appreciate them so much!  I am relieved to hear that you got through surgery okay. Please take all the time and rest you need to heal.

I find that most gyn's hope for the best and aren't inclined to anticipate that the worst could happen, too.  That's because the chances are statistically remote--but statistics don't mean much to those of us who wish someone had been more careful.

And, in the USA, insurance companies and the american cancer society have established protocols for "proper" treatment. So, if you're at 1a--there's little chance that you can get additional treatment.  All you can hope for is that they catch something in time.  

If you want a CT scan, try insisting on one in 6 months, and again, at 12.  Don't let them pat you on the head and patronize you. The cancer in my abdomen wasn't felt by my oncologist 3 months before it appeared, during my previous follow up.

Best of luck you you, too!   

• Posted

Thank you so much! I will insist on one. Keep me posted on your progress. Best of luck to you!😘

• Posted

I definitely will. 🤗

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.