Endometriosis, cysts and the Mirena Coil. Any advice?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, 

Just looking for some information really and anything that might help smile 

Quick summary: I'm 24, I have had problems with endometriosis on and off  since I was 16. I had one laporoscopy when i was 19. As I was having such bad periods, flooding, pain, pain during/after sex etc. They said they couldnt see a lot of endometriosis but removed what they did. I was taking the pill for a while after my first op but then came off it a few years ago. Ive had a lot of the same problems recently and went to see my Gynae, she did a scan and also told me to have the Mirena fitted. Which i since went and had fitted.

I was told that I more than likely have more endometriosis and sent for a scan. I was called back into my Gynae office last week where she has told me that I have an endometrial ovarian cyst on my right side. It is just over 4cm in size and my ovary is also 4cm. The doctor has said she wants to wait another 2 months and re scan me before she does anything else. 

The pain was bad before I had the Mirena fitted, but since I am in agony and bleeding everyday. I am getting severe shooting pains down my legs and at times, when it is bad, i cannot even walk.

Although, she didnt seem to take that on board the pain when i tried to explain it and told me to take Neurofen. Which doesnt even take the edge off. 

Over the last 9 months any time I run (i used to run maybe 1 - 2 times a week) I have been in excruciating pain and doubled over. I origninally thought it was a back or joint problem, but she said that this is not unheard off and is most likely the cyst.

After leaving her office i have some questions...Has anyone else had these problems with Mirena or found that it helped with thier endometriosis? 

If the cyst is just over 4cm and my ovary is 4cm is that not any cause for concern? 

Is it normal to 'wait and see'? Has anyone else had an endometrial cyst go on its own?

After reading about exercise and cysts online, is it safe for me to continue to exercise? I've stopped the running as i simply cannot warrant the pain, but what about weights and other exercise?

Thanks in advance for any help/information! 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

All that I can tell you is that in women your age, docs are always wanting to wait and see. Even into your 30s you may hear the same.

Some of the younger women will pop up to answer other questions.

• Posted

Thank you for this. I really feel like my doc isnt taking me serious. I understand the logic behind waiting and seeing, but im also worried that the longer i wait the more severe the pain/problems will get and potentially the more risk there may be to damaging my overy.

Wish she had given me more information, but as usual they've kept me in the dark!

• Posted

I havent had the Merina fitted, however i am also experiencing the same wait and see method even though i am in constant pain. I was also told the same about taking nuerophen, but same as you, it doesnt do a thing.

I find it crazy how doctors will let us sit in this amount of pain and expect us to get on with our daily lives like this.

Its unfair and i really hope you get your issue sorted asap.

• Posted

How funny, i just replied to your post above as well.

Its crazy how everyone with Endo/PCO etc seems to struggle with Doctors listening! They dont take the amount of pain seriously at all. 

Thank you, I hope you do too!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.