Endometriosis Diagnosis - Laparoscopy opinions/personal experiences

Posted , 4 users are following.

i have been suffering with extreme period pains and symptoms since i was 14 ( i am 19 now); i have tried various birth control methods to control my pain but nothing has helped. Today my gyno has suggested i start considering laparoscopy surgery so that we can officaily have the diagnosis of endometriosis documented and remove the endometriosis that's predicted to be causing my pain. i would really love to hear from the women who have had this surgery and all of their experiences; im looking to hear: how it went for you, did it fix the pain and for how long, advice, was it worth it, your personal severity level, scars, how long its been since your surgery, and any additional information you feel i should know. Please and thank you.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I had laparacopic investigation and removal of endo which didn't show on scans. My organs were defused and after initial op pain no more than a week I had much less pain and it didn't hurt to move. I was a lot older and had children so only had one lap as then went straight to hysterectomy but the pain stayed away for me for the whole 6 months until I had next op. It's worth having one to check what's going on as my pain was from fusion of organs as each time I moved all was being pulled rather than endo on nerves I guess. Good luck
    • Posted

I have had 2 laps in last year and can't see any scars. If you decide to go for it I'll give you more details on op
    • Posted

thank you so much for responding; i do think i am going to go through with the surgery because i am concerned if i dont officially get it taken care of i may not be able to have kids later in life.
  • Posted

I have 7 laproscopies so far to remove endo the problem i have is each time you have surgery it creates adhensions and because i have had the surgery 7 times i have alot of adhension now and my bowel is fused to my abdominal wall. It helps with the pain for a while but then my endo keeps growing back and in various areas the top of my womb is also pushed down with adhensions now aswell. I have various scars on my stomach but the scars arent big. I found taking the contraceptive pill back to back for along period of time helped reduced the pain as it puts your ovaries to sleep therefore the endo doesnt grow. Ive tried the prostap injections and zoladex but that didnt work for me i am now considering hysterectomy
    • Posted

If you dont mind me asking how old are you? and has your endo always been this severe?
    • Posted

if you could go back and make the choice whether to not have the surgery in the first place would you still decide to have the surgery all over again? or do you believe it wasnt worth it and just made things worse?
    • Posted

No i dont mind im 29. No not always been severe but they found a large amount the size of a small orange behind my vagina wall
    • Posted

If i could go back i would still definately have the surgery because the pain was unbearable it was effecting my life some days i couldnt move out of bed with the pain or when i did i would collapse. Can i ask how old you are if you dont mind? And if you have any children? And how bad your pain gets?
    • Posted

Sorry ignore my first question i already know how old you are as you stated on your discussion
    • Posted

i am 19 years old, i dont have any children but i really really hope to have a family of my own one day and im afraid if i dont get diagnosed i wont have the option to get pregnant. the majority of the time my period starts half way through the day and the very next day i am swollen and in so much pain that i vomit and occasionally pass out for seconds. Alot of my pain radiates down my legs causing them to twitch and i am imoble for a day. the pain is unbearable for a day and then its severe for 2 days after the first, the bleeding is heavy and lasts 8 days on average.
    • Posted

In my opinion a diagnostic laproscopy is the best decision the incisions are small the doctors will be able to see any endo and then remove it. U will be sore and a little uncomfortable for a few days just keep on top of the painkillers and be careful neding and lifting. I personally think you need to laproscopy doing to determine what is going on inside
    • Posted

No problem at all i know all to well what it is like to suffer. If you have any further questions please dont hesitate to ask. I will tryy best to help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.