Endometriosis felt during pap?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I went to my gyn yesterday to see about getting diagnosed with endometriosis. She did a pap and could feel endometriosis and nodules. Does that mean I have stage 5? I thought it could only be found doing a lap so I was pretty surprised and didn't ask a lot of questions. My gyn says I can keep ttc for a year and then get a lap done and most likely IVF or get one done right away. What are my chances of getting pregnant without going in and getting everything cleaned out? I feel like I should just get a lap and see how bad things are. Has anyone had their gyn feel it during a pap? Thanks for the help.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I don't know what a pap is..but I believe it can only be seen by doing a laparoscopy. However I have just been told I have it atattached to my sigmoid bowel.but this is because is 3cm in diameter and big enough to see. As it's adhesions like scarring it can't be found by smears or examinations. It also goes to stage 1v...4 not 5...that is severe. I had It for 20 years and it affected my fertility.i got pregnant at 25 but had an early miscarriage. My endo had spread to bowel tubes ovaries and pelvis...sticking everything together. I can't believe 16 years after hystorectomy and double bowel resection it could come back...but it has. Don't mess with fertility..if you think you have it...ask for laparoscopy to confirm. And get treatment.this disease spreads and will effect conceiving.

Don't leave it too late..if you have it widespread Ivf may not be an option either. I'm due to start zoladex injections to reduce mine.

• Posted

Thanks for your response. I'm new to learning about endometriosis. I was reading an article from the UK that said stage 5 I didn't realize that it wasn't correct. Thanks for informing me. I'm going to go in for the surgery. Thanks for the help. I'm sorry that your journey with endometriosis has been so difficult. Before I went to my appointment I didn't know it could get on other organs. That's very scary!

• Posted

Hi

Yes it can go to any organs the first is usually womb and ovaries tubes..but it can go to bowel lungs...anywhere really. As it's adhesions it can really only be seen by the laparoscopy as they need to see inside..I've never known it be diagnosed by scans or smears..I was diagnosed at 19 and had years if surgery injections trials operations...medications...had my hystorectomy at 36. I just had no quality of life and was in constant pain. I didn't know it didn't cure it...I only recently found out it can come back..and it has. There are 4 stages 1,2,3and 1v -stage 4...that s what I had and that will require surgery. The laparoscopy is just a day case small incision near belly button and a couple of tiny incisions lower down then they blow air in and put a tiny camera in..they have a look and may take a biopsy. You have a couple of stitches and go home within a couple of hours..go back to work couple of days later...it's the only way to make sure plus they can have a look around make sure tubes n ovaries r ok too. It's not a big deal at all. And will give u the answers you need.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.