Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography

Posted , 7 users are following.

i have had an endoscopy to look at my gall bladder at the QMC Nottingham they say I have a gall stone in my bile duct and have to have it removed ! I was very surprised because I m very slim no have a very good diet .i had been having very high LFT's for months so no wonder . but being slim I think I must have fooled them anybody else had this done please 😫

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Yep they usually say fair fat and forty. I was 30. Yes I’m fair but slim with a good diet too. Think it’s been the contraceptive pill that’s done it for me xx
  • Posted

I started to think it's all from the diets ha ha everyone who drinks eats chipper, seems to be don't have the problems with gallbladder. I am back i n the pub and then a big burger and chipssmile

• Posted

Female, fair, fat, forty and fertile. However, it‘s not always true or men wouldn’t get gallstones! Nor would darkhaired/skinned people. Everyone assumes you have a bad diet and are obese if you develop gallstones, even doctors, however genetics play a part. Out of five others I know who’ve had gallstones, three were slim and one of those dark haired so it doesn’t always add up. Two were in same family (father and daughter). I think now my mother had undiagnosed gallstones and her symptoms were always put down to a duodenal ulcer she’d had years earlier. I recognise her symptoms now I’ve been through the whole gallstone issue.

They normally perform ERCP if the stone isn’t too large to pass through the instruments. This is non invasive so no incision or scars. Have it done - it will only cause trouble later on.

• Posted

Hi Barbara. The doctors won't tell you. After ERCP you will get pancreatitis. From this procedure. It will heal in time. Be strong and optimistic. Good Luck. 😎

• Posted

I had 2 ERCPs and did not develop pancreatitis. We’re all different and I can only speak from my experience. It may well be a common side effect but I didn’t experience it.
    • Posted

Really glad you didn't get it because I know it's awful let's hope I don't fed up of being in pain now 😢💐

• Posted

Hi Barbara!

To piggyback off a comment above, you will likely NOT develop pancreatitis after this procedure. The chances of doing so are only 5-10%, so the odds are in your favor, and you may be given an antibiotic afterwards to lessen your chances even more.

I just had an ERCP done and the most uncomfortable/painful part is the gas they need to inflate you with during the procedure. You'll pass it all within 24 hours and you'll be fine. smile You'll be sedated and likely won't know anything has happened. If you've ever had an endoscopy or a colonoscopy, the process for you is much the same - you'll be made comfortable and before you know it you'll be waking up in a recovery area! You'll do just fine, and that stone really does need to be removed. You'll feel a lot better.

• Posted

People scaremongering again.... thank you for providing the correct statistics and advice xx
    • Posted

Thank you just made me feel a a whole lot better all though in pain right now and dear not eat much tonite either ! yes the stones got to be removed and then my gall bladder too 💐Hope you are well now 👌

• Posted

That's interesting  if you have astone stuck you might be able to shift it with the nasty experience of the olive oil with fresh lemon in it... See the USA advice which is supposed to be an old wives tale but for me it did shift a couple of my stones........

The olive oil makes a gall bladder react drastically so I'm told and the lemon in it counteracts the calcium in the stone.  I believe they can remove a stone from the duct by retreaval  through an endoscope.

I don't know if Ursodioxycholic acid would desolve a stone in the duct but that method dissolved gall stones in my gall bladder. Apparently the higher acid content in the digestive tract within the gall bladder is what dissolves the stone/ stones but it takes some months to do that but I can assure any one it did work for me.

• Posted

I thought they removed it though the endoscope?  Try a small lemon pulp and juice in 1/4 cup of warm olive oil.

Do it first thing in the morning before eating. if the stone is small enough it may pass but I know the doing of that is not nice as it makes very bad dihorea but it got rid of a couple of stones for me. The idea is from the USA 

and is said to be an old wives tale but it most certainly got things moving for me. I would think that small stones in nature will pass down the tubes but it's not nice when the cease to travel !    Might save you a procedure

but get ready for the toilet as it happens to work immediately after drinking the stuff. Not nice but effective!

I would like to hear it worked for you... The tube from the gall bladder must be tough and flexible so that stone might even go through on it's own but the potion gives the system a clout I assure you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.