Endoscopy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hiya,  I've had a peculiar "bubble" in my throat for a few weeks now which comes and goes.  No idea what triggers it and it basically feels like something moves back up after I have swallowed.  I had an endoscopy 7 years ago, without sedation and found it almost unbearable.  Not painful just could not control the urge to retch.  I am dreading the 2nd one and will insist on sedation whether they try to encourage me to be "up and out quick" by not having sedation.  Anyone got any experience of one with sedation.  Please tell me you know very little about it and it's so much better than just the spray??

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. Have had an endoscopy without sedation and know what you mean about wanting to retch but it was quick and alright. The others there who chose to have the sedation were there for ages laying around in bed before and after. I don't think they wil try to decide for you.
  • Posted

I have had endoscopy with sedation before and i think its better if you can call it that COs i find it horrible.you are more relaxed but when i had mine i still gipped but good thing is it doesn't last that long
    • Posted

Yes . I had to have it without sedation as they ask you to promise you will have someone with you for 12 hours after and could not arrange that.
  • Posted

Hi Wendy,

Endosocopies I hate having done, I have had 2 done over the years. First one was with spray but that made no difference, you still get the urge to wretch. Having sedation, now this will depend on the doctor performing it, some tend to give you the sedation, but not leave it long enough before releasing the camera down your throat.

Okay, it only takes seconds but is probably the worst thing I have ever had done yet.

I hope you get a doctor that lets the sedation kick-in properly before inserting the camera.

Regards.

• Posted

To me the worst thing was when the nurses kept telling me that I might end up bleeding a lot and I might end up feeling awful and there is a tiny chance that I will become very ill after etc. I wanted them to just get on with it and get it done not keep on about the terrible things that might happen.
    • Posted

Actually, now you mention that Carmel, I was told my throat maybe sore for a couple of weeks. But I was fine after, just a nasty feeling for a few seconds... Ewwwwwwww
    • Posted

Yes. LOL. Agree. But I hated it when they kept on about what might happen and how there is a 1 in 10,000 chance it will all go wrong etc. Nearly got cold feet and cancelled it.
    • Posted

LOL... Well, to be honest I preferred a Colondoscopy - that takes a lot longer and is such a weird feeling when they inflate parts of the intestines to get the camera around corners (of course that air does have to come back out! lol). Stupid part of that was they told me I maybe sore after from "tissue" samples they took (it was a biopsy, but came back clear).

It was my second biopsy, the first one was cancerous and that 'knocked' me for six, since I was being treated for a virus at the time and for 6 weeks!!! Once they realized what it was, I was in hospital within 3 days to have it removed. That was 6 years ago now, I am now in my last year of remission. What made it worse was my 8yr old daughter at the time thought I was not coming home again, because my father passed away the same week (he died from Colon Cancer). That was one very stressful time for our family.

• Posted

I think at that time it brought our family closer together.

But I was to face further hospital visits in January 2012, I spent the whole month in hospital and came very close to dying - cancer, I thought was bad but having part of your intestine turning gangrene inside you was much worse and the pain was unreal, it was called Inflammation of the Colon - Colitis, I ended up in theatre twice in 3 days having major operations. That took over 10 months to fully recover...

I am back to what I class as normal'ish now, the Dystonia still rules! lol

• Posted

Crikely Les, you have been through it.  Glad you're on the right side of it now and hopefully enjoying the lovely summer we've had.  All the best, Wendy 
    • Posted

Had to smile when I read your post!  I guess they have to tell you the worse case scenarios because of the "blame" culture we now live in, but at times it's too much.  Just before I went to theatre last time they explained that they could damage my teeth and oh did I realise there's a 1 in so many 1000's chance I could lost the sight in one eye............... la la la not happening!!! X
    • Posted

LOL... I spoke too soon! Last night the paramedics were called out to bring me out of a seizure. When I eventually came around, I could hardly move my right-arm, they had done a blood test but instead of putting me back in the recovery position I ended up with my whole body weight on my right arm, cutting the blood supply off so I ended up with the pins and needles feeling while my bright red arm turned back to normal.

The one paramedic asked me if I felt my finger being pricked, I said I can't even feel my arm.

And they were going to try and administer Diazepam via a needle, with me that is impossible - because my body, even when it is normal it is like a moving target! Normally, Doctors have to give me injections in to veins, etc.

• Posted

You poor thing - and you still have a sense of humour - you are amazing you know.
    • Posted

Well, I cannot be anything else. lol  I did try years ago a 1/4 glass of wine at Christmas to celebrate it with family, but I ended up asleep the rest of the day. So, I cannot smoke, drink alcohol or even go on long journeys - and there's even days I cannot use the mouse unless I use both hands to steady it.  Anyway, I have to do something to pass the time...

Even my own Consultant Neurologist says I am an awkward case, basically so many things wrong with me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.