Endoscopy

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have an endoscopy this Thursday for severe stomach pains after eating (I had one biscuit yesterday afternoon and by 2 hours later I was in pain, 4 hours it was unbearable). I wasn't going eat the biscuit, but I thought I had to try, to see if maybe it would hurt. I didn't image that bad.

I have lost 14 pounds in the last month from not eating. I have read it is recommended to eat gluten food prior to test so that it is in your system.

Has anyone done anything in preparation for and endoscopy to verify if you have IBS, Celiac, etc?

I am so tired of feeling worn out and the pain after eating can be unbearable. I had a CT scan, ultrasound and hydia scan, all came back negative. I am lactose intolerant, have been for many of years. I eat fairly health, salads usually, yogurt, I only eat chicken or fish, but I cannot hold any of it down anymore or I have very bad burping episodes, some time regurgitating.. 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Have you had a stool test for h pylori?  It can cause burping. H pylori can also be looked for in an endoscopy.

They do say to take gluten foods before the procedure to make sure the    test is accurate. If you had pain after eating a biscuit, you may have an intolerance to an ingredient in it which may be gluten.  Tell the consultant when you go for your endoscopy about this reaction.

I had a blood test for celiac which was negative.  I got diagnosed with IBS.

• Posted

Hey!

Do you drink coffee? Alcohol? Smoke? These can be triggers for gastritis. Does the pain start in the morning and goes throughout the day or is the pain stopping at any point? What do you feel triggers the pain? Food only?

• Posted

No coffee, alcohol or smoking. The pain only occurs after I eat, somethings make the pain a lot worse. The worse pain last maybe an hour, couple of hours, somtimes comes back. My whole stomach hurts but not all at once, right upper abdomen, right of the belly button, I have a bulge that comes and goes on my lower right abdomen and lower left but more frequently on the right, pain in the upper left abdomen and middle left. I am starting to get scared. I have not been tested for h pylori. Each time I am tested, I haven't ate for about  a week prior, so I am thinking maybe that is not helping me, but I am not sure. 

• Posted

Don't worry about the endoscopy will you, I had one today and can tell you it is quick and painless as long as you breathe and stay as relaxed as you can. Just go with the spray, you won't need sedation I promise. You will know straight away if anything sisnister is found otherwise a biopsy, or more than one, will be taken to test for celiac desease or other nasties. Sounds very similar to the episodes I have, nothing sinister to be seen on my results, so down to biopsy results. Good luck! 

• Posted

Hi, I had an endoscopy last year. I wasn't told to do anything any different than to what I was already doing. I was feeling really sick after mainly everything I ate and loose bowels.

Celiac can be tested by a blood or Stool test too if nothing was to show up in the endoscopy. Don't worry about it and speak to your consultant prior to having it done about what you eat.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.