Endoscopy

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am being booked to have an endoscopy. Very nervous about it and not sure whether I should have sedation. Advice pl.  Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marie,

i had one 3 weeks ago and like you I was terrified, was going to have sedation but the doctor persuaded me to have throat spray, it was a case of spray throat lie down and it took 5/6 mins, if I had to have another one I would choose the same again, 

• Posted

Hi Marie,

If you're under 65, I'd say don't hesitate to go for sedation. You won't remember a thing about it afterwards.

• Posted

Marie,  I had an endoscopy a few weeks ago and previously had worried myself about it to the point of feeling ill.  I chose to have both throat spray and sedation.  Within a minute I was asleep and knew nothing about the proceedure.  I felt absolutely fine afterwards and went home shortly afterwards.  I personally would opt for the same again, however I would not be at all worried.  I am 68 incidentally.  If you have sedation you need someone to drive you home and be around for 24 hours.  Best wishes.
  • Posted

Hi Marie,

I had an endoscopy done a few weeks ago with sedation and it was wonderful. I was terrified, and the whole thing turned out to be a breeze. I'm sure you'll be fine either way you choose to do it, however, I personally am terrified of being in pain, therefore I chose sedation.

Best of luck!

• Posted

It is not the pain, it is the gag reflex. I can block out pain, but things going down my throat that shouldn't makes it lock up.

• Posted

I opted for no sedation and would do the same again but it depends how youfeel about being out of it! I like to know what is going on and the staff were great and I had a guided tour, so to speak, of my gut. 

good uck. 

• Posted

I just got home a few hours ago after having an endsoscopic ultra sound (a different kind of endoscopy).  They gave me the twilight, and it was over before I knew it.  I don't eve have a sore throat.  The only thing I would suggest is to ask for some ant-nausea medication if you're at all prone to be nauseated, which I did.  My blessings go with you.

• Posted

Hi Marie 

I had my endoscopy yesterday I was really nervous about it and I was reading all the scary reviews on here which didn’t help at all I was about to cancel my appointment I was that scared....

So the day comes for my endoscopy I was crapping myself I hated the thought that a camera was going down my throat it freaked me out 

My appointment was 2:10 so I had to wait around which just made me more nervous 

I got the the hospital checked in and waited a bit then they called my name I went through to a room to discuss my procedure and what anaesthetic I wanted I originally wanted sedation as I didn’t wanna know what they was doing to me but sometimes having a sedation your more likely to freak out as your not in control of your body so I opted for the throat spray it took me like 10minutes to decide on what I wanted I was scared I then got put in a waiting room in there for no longer than 5 minutes then I got called in my heart was racing I was sweating I’m a nervous person to so it didn’t help at all 

In my room was two nurses and the person doing the procedure

My doctor was so lovely he sprayed my throat 10times and you have to swallow  it I thought it tasted like banana my throat started to be numb and you can’t feel yourself swallow now I never got scared at all I went with the flow I lay day they put oxygen on my nose & I had the heart monitor on your finger they then put a guard in your mouth to prevent you biting the tube and befor I knew it I was asked to swallow so I did I gagged a little bit (it’s only natural) I never had no pain nothing I wasn’t even uncomfortable he got into my stomach I gagged a little again as he was exploring inside I could feel the air being pushed in to open everything up which made me burp a lot he therefore went a little in to my intestine I gagged a little bit there to and then he was done a matter of 8minutes he was gently pulling the camera out I never gagged at all when it come out I was so proud of myself like I say when it comes to procedures I’m a nervous wreck but I’m so chuffed that I did this with just spray 

I know people say that having the throat spray you can’t breathe or it feels like your being strangled it really doesn’t you can breathe and I never felt like I was being strangled either.... also people say that having the tube down your throat feels like choking and having something stuck in your throat and you feel like you can’t breathe 

Believe me you can breathe perfectly and you don’t feel like your choking at all also you don’t even feel the tube down your throat (I never) don’t let anyone freak you out with there exaggerated stories honestly you can do this don’t worry and don’t panic trust the professionals as they have been doing this all day everyday for years I hope this helps you 

• Posted

You must be feeling so pleased with yourself and so you should. Glad it went so well for you and that have given such an honest and reassuring report. It will help the next nervous person to make the right decision for his/her endoscopy.

Re the gagging that is a problem for some; I've described on here before but will again for newcomers that to me it felt like swallowing a piece of dry bread and certainly no breathing problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.