Endoscopy and biopsy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I am due to have an endoscopy and biopsy in two weeks to see if i have coeliac disease (TTG IGA and EMA both came back positive) and i just wanted thoughts on whether it is better to have the sedative or just the throat spray when having the procedure. I am in the UK so there is no cost for either.

Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I would definitely recommend sedation. Is not a comfortable experience. I had it done with sedation.

• Posted

hi, I recently had an endoscopy and opted for the throat spray only. I didn't like the idea of hanging around waiting for the sedation to wear off afterwards.

it wasn't a pleasant experience but just close your eyes and it will be over very quickly, mine lasted less than 5 minutes. if I had to do it again I would go just for the throat spray (it is such a grim taste though)

• Posted

Your choice, however, I had an endoscopy recently and wasn't offered a sedative. It was a very unpleasant experience and I would never go through it again without a sedative.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.