Endoscopy appointment...scared!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, I am new to this but am losing sleep with worry.

Recently noticed I can feel good going down when swallowing and dull ache in chest. Bowel movement has also changed to quite soft stool. Saw GP last Tuesday. Checked chest said it sounds fine and then felt stomach. He didn't really comment on the stomac but prescribed Omeprazole 30mg and sent me for chest X-ray and referred for endoscopy.

Done chest X-ray on Wednesday but as bank holiday haven't had results but the endoscopy appointment letter came through on Saturday and is booked for the 15th April. That is less than 2 weeks from initial appointment with GP.

Now I know googling symptoms is not ideal, but my symptoms are all similar to those of oesophageal or stomach/colon cancer and I am petrified!

Most people have waited some time for an endoscopy so now I'm worried my GP noticed something but didn't tell me because he didn't want to worry me. Looking online says appointments in two weeks are usually for suspected cancer. I'm at my wits end being a single parent of two young children.

I know only the tests will give me the results but has anyone had a similar experience they can share?

Also the referral said to stop taking Omeprazole 2 weeks before appointment. I only took them for 3 days but appointment is less than two weeks so will this matter?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

***UPDATE***

well I opted for the throat spray not he sedative. I did not expect to be throwing up acid (sorry) for the whole procedure and although it was uncomfortable, they said I done well.

Diagnosis for today is a hiatus hernia as you all suggested. Boost taken with results in a few weeks but the doctor did say he did not see anything that looked like cancer so results should be fine and more of a routine than anything else.

I will of course update you again once I have received the results.

Thank you all for your support during this anxious time. It was really helpful x

• Posted

Nicole, do you you mind me asking what were your symptoms? How are you FEELING NOW? What treatments are you undergoing?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.