Endoscopy - deciding whether to have one or not?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had symptoms of acid reflux or gastritis over the last 8 months and wondering if I should have an endoscopy? My symptoms were kicked off by drinking "coffee" made from ramon seeds. I am sensitive to coffee in general. The symptoms have waxed and waned over the 8 months - eliminating tea and chocolate has helped. My symptoms would improve, then I would re-introduce green tea back into my diet and symptoms got a bit worse so would remove. The last 2 months, I have had symptoms on and off without drinking tea so tried a 2 week trial of Pepsid which has helped and symptoms are now very minimal if not non-existent.

I have doctor's appointment tomorrow and colonoscopy scheduled in 2 weeks. I am planning to discuss with my gi doctor about whether to do an endoscopy at the same time as the colonoscopy. I am planning to have the colonoscopy done without sedative, did last one that way, and also the endoscopy without sedative, only one I had done was under sedation. I had an endoscopy done 5 years ago, after year of acid reflux symptoms kicked off by taking potassium pills, that showed mild gastritis. Those symptoms eventually faded on their own and symptom free for 3-4 years until 8 months ago.

I haven't tried prilosec yet which my gi doctor recommended to do a 14 day trial of to see if it resolved the symptoms. I got worried after reading about the possible side effects of prilosec. One option would be to just wait and see if the symptoms stay low and another would be to try a round of prilosec first before having an endoscopy. I am a very risk averse person so trying to weigh the risks of endoscopy vs prilosec vs doing nothing and potientially having symptoms continue - barrett's esophagus, etc. Any advice or thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had an endoscopy 3 weeks ago and they biopsied 3 spots I have mild gastritis and Barretts, the Barretts I have, has no dysplasia, thank God , but I'm still worried Most of the time I read that it rarely turns to cancer It normally is more common with men over50,,, I'm a woman, 63 My dad had Stage 1 esophogeal Cancer 2 years ago and he's 87 now He had heartburn for years and took Rolaids I never really even had/have reflux a lot, and I have Barretts.... weird

I'm currently on Protonix which I'm not crazy about taking. I'm nervous if I don't take them though Ugh!!!!

I'm not sure if I'd ever have another endoscopy bc I had a lot of discomfort from jt even after 2 weeks I'm ok now though

It's totally up to you if you should get another one though Good luck Keep us posted

• Posted

I would recommend taking the PPI. It is only for a couple of weeks, the most common complaint people mention from it is a bit of IBS.

The so called serious side effects of ppis, for example cancer and dementia, have not been proven, there have been inconclusive studies looking into these, but there are other factors as to why the small percentage of patients in the studies would have had these illnesses. The patients all had h pylori at the beginning of the study which increases the risk of cancer, so the chances are the small percentage of patients who got cancer already had that risk. The dementia risk is more likely due to the fact that PPI tablets stop you absorbing vitamins so well if taken for a long period of time because a vitamin B12 deficiency puts your risk up of developing dementia. The studies were looking at patients who were on PPIs long term not 2 weeks. I am on PPIs long term and I take vitamin B12 and vitamin D sprays because I have been deficient of these two vitamins since being on the PPIs but I am fine with the sprays. So if you are worried rake a vitamin B12 supplement, I think most people should take certain vitamins whether they are on PPIs or not to be safe, particularly when they get older.

If your symptoms are still there after the 2 weeks of PPIs then it may be a good idea to get an endoscopy to be on the safe side but an endoscopy can upset your stomach even more if you have a bit of inflammation and the advice your given afterwards is to go on PPIs!

• Posted

I take B12's for years bc I'm a vegeterian for 27 years I take D3, and other supplements

I'm not worried about dementia or cancer from the PPI's its the kidneys I worry about for a long time use of them

I have no side effects now, thank God

• Posted

I hadn't heard of that risk but just skimmed the paper on it to the results and conclusion. So the people taking PPIs were more likely to be obese and on antihypertensive medication. That PPI is associated with a 20-50% higher risk of incident CKD. Future research needs to evaluate whether limiting PPI use reduces the incidence of CKD. In other words, if someone is obese and on blood pressure medication, that will put their risk up of CKD, obesity is a potent risk factor in itself, they still need to do other studies to see if the PPIs are a contributing factor.

• Posted

I know All drugs have side effects,, some worse than others Makes you wonder

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.