Endoscopy fear

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have always had a fear of an upper endoscopy and now the time has come and I have to have one - tomorrow!!  I can't breathe very well through my nose at the best of times, let alone with a tube in my throat.  At the moment I am thinking I will opt for sedative, however I am led to believe that they try to persuade you that you don't need it.  Any experiences out there for sedative or just the throat spray?

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

It's a piece of cake, don't worry about it. I've been on it 6x, first one at 19, now 25. It lasts 5-7 minutes in average. I didn't opt for anesthesia. It is unconformable but only when the endoscope is in your stomach or duodenum. The deeper it goes the more uncomfortable it is, but it is definitely manageable. You'll be fine, nothing can go wrong here... Report after it...

• Posted

Hi.

They want u as relaxed as possible. If ure uncomfy with the idea of just spray go for sedation.

I had spray, sedation and something more as i was scared.

Wimp i know but i remember nothing and felt no discomfort until later in that day.

Often u can feel uncomfy for a few hours after.

Its to help u get well.

Let us kniw once ure out.

• Posted

Reminded me of a dyson cleaner at the end but first off had banana spray & the tube is about 8mm across so larger than I thought & I was sick all the way through it  .. remember to breathe through it 

• Posted

hi ...I had endoscopy 3 weeks ago..for reflux ..check my previous in depth posts , it,ll give you a wee heads up, but let me be totally truthful I took the sedative jag in the arm and the procedure was a piece of cake no pain at all my friend came with me introduced himself to the staff and afterwards came and drove me home where i had a nap and chilled out all day feeling great and before it i was freaking mainly about what they would find, turned out ok i had 2 polyps benign, but non specific chronic gastritis...still refluxing daily , nightmare, but have no fear my friend i would sprint to the hospital if ever again reqd for a scope, good luck and take the jag its a breeze
  • Posted

Had one not too long ago. Had no idea what 2 expect, but no biggie at all. Spray numbed throat and I didn't even feel it. I will never be stressed by having them again..soooo easy...

• Posted

Had one a couple of weeks ago. Spray on the throat then a mild anesthetic. Watched the whole procedure on the monitor, certainly no big deal and nothing to be afraid off
  • Posted

Hi there I've had it done twice and to be very honest with you I found it a horrible experience the sedation they gavd me the first time did nothing  I couldn't have  spray and sedation only I choice I was choking so bad they had to stop the second time I had it done by the Dr I paid private to see he gave me mite sedation and I managed to have it done but still gagged along 

• Posted

Thanks for all your replies.  Procedure now done and dusted.  So I was offered the usual, but another option was to have the banana spray also with air and gas, did almost go for this but in the end went for the sedation.  After they gave me the sedative and the mouth piece, I can't remember anything apart from coughing or gagging or something and then it was finished, but I wasn't really with it and I certainly don't remember anyone speaking to me at all.  Sure they must have done.  So.......I'm glad it's over, can't remember much about it and I had a good sleep this afternoon.

• Posted

good to hear it went well

I couldn't have the sedation as no-one to look after me & wanted to see mum coz she was in hospital at the time

so was there anything wrong ?

• Posted

Well they said all looked normal so guess I have to get on the tablets?
    • Posted

Well done to u.

Good that all look normal.

It may take a while but with meds right lifestyle u should get better then cut the meds slowly out once better and u should be outta woods. 😁

• Posted

i know the feeling ..relief though nothing sinister found thats the main thing....I dont know what your problems are, mine is atypical reflux, which means anything but typical in fact, neck upwards stuff, horrible,all the best whatever happens next, Allan
    • Posted

Glad to hear it all went well. Take my advice and try to get off those tablets. Healthy eating, weight loss and less stress. I found those drugs useless.
  • Posted

Hi,

new to the group today, here in the UK.

Ive had the endoscopy twice now - 6 months apart - and it’s not so bad. Pretty uncomfortable in my opinion, but it’s uncomfortable rather than any pain. No sedation just the old spray. Felt 100% within 15 minutes of the procedure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.