Endoscopy fear

Posted , 11 users are following.

HI, I have had digestive issues all my life (I'm now 58). Lately my stomach has reacted badly to a hormone treatment I've had which I have now stopped but I am having trouble setting my stomach down. I have had a lot of stress in my life during the past 6 years and particularly the last 6 months. I know that is partly to blame for this too.

I have easomeprazole from the doctor which is helping but it gives me diarrhea. Ive had an ultrasound scan which was all fine but I know that the doc is going to suggest an Endoscopy. This fills me with fear - I've had this twice before and it has been AWFUL. Once without sedation and once with sedation but they did it badly and I was not sedated. So any advice/encouragement on having this procedure would be appreciated. My thoughts are that if I have the test then yes they'll find reflux and prescribe a PPI so maybe I could just carry on with the PPI above and hope for the best but I know that I should probably be brave and get checked properly.

Why is there not an easier way to inspect the gut by now - this is 2019!!

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, have you not expressed your fears to your gp? I too cant tolerate endoscopies so they now give me general anesthetic.

worth asking

best of luck

• Posted

You might want to try drinking peppermint tea and chamomile tea. At least a few cups of each every day. It might settle your stomach without the need for ppi's

• Posted

Thanks again to you all for your replies. I do wonder if I have a hiatus hernia. I've read that anyone over 50 will certainly have one! Are there any exercises that help with that?

I have been a bit better, no acute attack of pain and burping yesterday at all. Hoping that is the PPIs. I'm on 20mg but when I feel worse I take an extra one at night.

Yes I am careful with my diet. I've learned over the years that anything with a good flavour and tasty - well that's not for me! Joy! Jacket potatoes, bread, bland things are safest. Alcohol - forget that! When I'm better I can be a little more risky with things but not at the moment.

Stress is a big factor these days for me and I do think I've not been chewing carefully enough and taking my time.

Yes, I do take camomile tea - peppermint tea, well that can give me indigestion! Even a plain glass of water can give me indigestion sometimes! Mad or what!

So thank you all again and I hope you all find things that help for you.

TIP - figs contain an enzyme that aids digestion, I have found them helpful at times. Obviously they have a high sugar content but worth a go just a little at a time.

Also chewing gum after a meal continues the digestive process, this can help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.