Endoscopy fears

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all, for the past 3 weeks I've been having intermittent dysphagia. I had some pain in my right shoulder blade and right chest also. I've got old gerd for a decade and have taken Prevacid and Protonix. I'm terrified that I have esophageal cancer as I've lost a few pounds. The trouble swallowing comes and goes but it's mainly with solid food. My regular doctor is sending me to do a barium swallow this Friday. I was glad to get to do that because I am terrified of an endoscopy That Could perforate my esophagus. Now I went to a new GI doctor and she said that you have to have an endoscopy to rule out esophageal cancer. My question is, can a barium swallow not show esophageal cancer? Should I have an endoscopy before the barium swallow? I'm wondering if I can get by with just the barium swallow for now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated because I have three little kids who desperately need their mother back and I'm so anxious from all of this.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I have had at least a dozen endoscopes with absolutely no problem. One of them saved my life by finding a tumour early. That was 3 years ago and now I’m Cancer free. I don’t even take any meds!! Get the endoscopes ASAP!!
    • Posted

Nancy, how did you treat your tumor? I was diagnosed with a very early stage tumor in December and just underwent having my esophagus removed. No further cancer was found.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.