Endoscopy for excessive nausea

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I have had terrible nausea and fatigue for almost 5 months now. I have been to countless amount of doctors and none know what is wrong. One doctor said it could be mono but i never had throat issues. Anyways, I have an endoscopy in a week and I am terrified of throwing up/being nauseous during the procedure. My nausea gets even worse when i get anxious which I will be the day of. My gag reflex is very sensitive. Can anyone give a review of how bad the procedure is/ what i can expect?? Thank you so much!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi jade, I had my first endoscopy about a month ago, I also have a really sensitive gag reflex and I gagged and heaved the whole time! I didn't opt for the sedition although I wish I had, the dr found polyps on my esophagus so I have to go again on the 8th of December for another procedure to remove them and without a doubt I will be taking the sedative, I personally would recommend it coming from someone who has a sensitive gag reflex but try not to worry as the procedure does only take a few minutes I just think the sedative will help me relax more next time, good luck xx

• Posted

Hi Jade I had an endoscopy done two months ago. I was extremely nervous as I have a very sensitive reflex gag. I went for both the throat spray and sedation which helped me considerably. The sedation makes you feel really relaxed and even though I gagged a bit it was ok. I’m sure you will be fine but I would recommend both throat spray and sedation. Good luck with it 
  • Posted

Hi Jade. 

Do not worry yourself.   

Over the last 2 months I have had 4 upper endoscopys.  My journey is almost at an end with a happy result.  One more dilation to go in 2 weeks and my journey is over. Hopefully for a very long time. .  First time I had without sedation and really for me no biggy.  It’s odd and not natural but not painful and over in a flash.   This procedure included a few biopsies  again no pain and let’s face it whilst they are down there they need to make the most of it as far as getting the info they need.  Since then I opted for sedation only due to dilation . Your awake and probably feel that the drugs haven’t worked.  But. They do and it really helps if your nervous.  Relax your with professionals .  Go in with the mind set that without it you will forever be worrying about your symptoms. I wish you well and as I’m sure you did google gives you the fright of your life looking at reviews.   As I said before it’s really a very safe quick and all telling procedure.  Go for it and do review after as it really helps others.   I wish you well.  Got my next in 2 weeks.  All the very best.  Tim 

• Posted

Just saw your post - I too have nausea and for a while - had endoscopy Tuesday - but he said eveything looks good - wants me to take Bentyl - said it could be stomach spasms - but I also have pain under right rib - had an ultrasound in Jan - showed no stones - but I get so tired of trying to deal with this nausea - I take Zofran

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.