Endoscopy looming

Posted , 4 users are following.

My reflux saga continues -does anyones ever do anything else? In a week or so I am due to see the nurse at the clinic to presumably set up an endoscopy.I would like some advice from those of you who have had the dreaded camera - I'm really not looking forward to it! To sedate or not to sedate? - most people I know who have had one say have it but I would welcome all opinions. Also, how do you find not taking your meds? I'm taking 40mg of Protioum a day and although it's worked really well for the last 3 1/2 months when I tried to reduce to 20mg my symptoms returned immediately. Although I'm back up to 40mg I'm still not feeling too good and wonder if I've undone all the previous good work! How on earth will I cope when I have to stop taking my tablets for 2 weeks? Yikes! Anyone out there with a hiatus hernia (which I've been told I've probably got)? Any advice - I've raised my bed which helps but I can't seem to find what food triggers pain except for coffee and cream. Nothing else seems to affect me consistently. Sorry for the rambling nature of this post but I'm fed up!!! sad

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi just to put you at ease, i had an endoscopy in october last year and loike yourself i was petrified. i opted for an injection but was fully aware of what was happening. iwas led into a room where the endoscopy took place, they then sprayed something into my throat which tasted of almonds i was the put onto my left side and had the camera inserted.do not worry i was aware of it but nothing like iwas expecting, it did not take that long and i was given tea and biscuits afterwards. i hope this puts your mind at ease.

best wishes. keith rennie

• Posted

Hi ,i had the scope just over a year ago.i was a little bit scared as well.i decided to not have an injection just the spray in the throat..Although a little bit of discomfort is felt ,it really isnt that bad at all.
  • Posted

Hi hun,I have had 4 endoscopies and I personally would advise you to have sedation.It is a little bit of discomfort but it doesnt take long and you are allowed to sleep it off for an hour and then after that I was given some toast and a cup of coffee.

Hope everything goes well hun

Debs xxxx

• Posted

Hi

I had my endoscopy not long ago and i was terrified as never even been to a hospital before but it was fine i was sedated and i have no memory at all of having it done woke up an hour after was given tea and biscuits and sent home and my throat didnt even hurt.

Luan

• Posted

Hi

I have had 2 endoscopies - the first one i took the injection (tranq) and the second time I opted for no injection, and was able to control things better. I found I became confused and disoriented with the injection, yet could still feel all the discomfort. Without the injection, yes it was uncomfortable but i was in control.

• Posted

hi, i also had the cam down my throat and the only thing they used was spray, i didnt feel any pain, but it was uncomfortable, trying to get used to not breathing normally, as for the reflux i dont take any meds, i avoid all foods that may cause acid, ie: currys, no milk, i use soya, and so on, some days its worse than other days, its all trial and error, untill your body settles, to what works for you, also worring about it makes it worse for me, my experience is i thought it was pointless, if they suspect reflux then it is reflux? i hope this helps :?:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.