Endoscopy no sedation 20 yr old

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have really bad anxiety and didnt know what to expect. I hate not being in control or feeling safe so i decided no sedation. I was shaking until they rolled me on the side. I swallowed the tube and gagged so hard. I gagged the entire time it was down there and kept burping really intensely. It didnt hurt at all, it was just like I was choking and needed to throw up. I had tears rolling out my face and drewl everywhere. I didnt feel the biopsy but it was the most gaggiest I felt, every time they took a sample I had to just breath in real hard to not gag. The tube coming out wasn't bad at all and swallowing it wasn't horrible. Honestly it was a weird experience. But I would do it awake again, everyone was really supportive and surprised I did it awake. It lasted 5 minutes. If you can gag it out for 5 mins do it awake! You can do it! I just got out and I feel great my throats a little scratchy, and belly is a little gas filled but overall I'm OK !

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I did it sedated. Fentanyl, 2 doses then 2 of verses so you don't remember a thing. Had me out about 20 minutes maybe. Slept like a rock the rest of the day. Only way to fly. Lol.

• Posted

Thats awesome how long did your throat feel weird if it did? And how long did you

feel air in your stomach if you did?

• Posted

He scoped me right down to the point my small intestine starts. Took 2 biopsies from patches he suspected and called "Barrett's looking mucosa"? Think that's what it said. I don't feel a thing. Told my wife I had alot of acid to. Been waiting for him to call and tell me results of biopsies and what's the next step. Called his office 3 times. I was told he likes to talk directly to his patients. Just the way he does things.

• Posted

Lucky you sont fill anything! I think I was dialated hence the air in my stomach. Even though I was awake I was not paying attention lol. But good luck I hope all will be well for you!
    • Posted

I know he numbed it up good with spray before he put me out. Notes say he did it again. The verse they gave me, I can't remember any part of the procedure.

• Posted

Yep, no way would my gag reflex let me do it awake. 15 to 20 mins sedated and then after 10 mins in the recovery room with a cup of tea and biscuits, I was away. To anyome concerned about sedation, although it knocks you out, it is not a general anaesthetic.
    • Posted

It's a opioid pain med used as a anesthesia sometimes for short time procedures. If they want to knock you out longer usually they use propofol or alfentanil. Worked good for me. Lol.

• Posted

I had this procedure yesterday and I suffer badly with anxiety and was tying myself in knots about whether to have sedation or not. I was worried if panic and choke or have an asthma attack. I finally decided on just the throat spray. They spray it in your mouth and ask you to swallow, it tastes like bitter banana and stays working straight away. It was a very strange sensation, like my mouth and throat were full of cotton wool. I was asked if it was numb so they could begin which I was. They lie you down on your left side and put in mouth guard so you don't bite the endoscope, there were 2 nurses the doctor and the person doing the procedure with me. One nurse suctions your mouth (like at the dentist) the other nurse was talking to me to concentrate on my breathing. You are asked to swallow (which is hard when you can't feel you mouth or throat) and the procedure is under way. You can feel an odd sensation as the air and camera are moved through you and you burp so much. I also retched so much my eyes were streaming (every time I stopped concentrating on my breathing) but the nurse brought me back to concentrate on my breathing and I before I realised it they were telling me that it was nearly over and the camera was coming out (about 10 minutes in total with no biopsies). They took me to a quiet room and checked my stats, signed my paperwork (about another 10 minutes) by this time the spray was wearing off. You can't eat or drink for an hour after the procedure, not that I wanted to. My throat feels a little tender the day after and I'm still a little bloated. Definitely do this without sedation if you can handle retching for 10 minutes. It's unpleasant but not unbearable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.