Endoscopy on Friday

Posted , 3 users are following.

Oh no the day is almost here Friday 25th, it could have been worse and fell on the 13th I would for sure have cancelled.

I was meant to go in at 9am but got a letter saying that it was still going to be on the 25th July but had changed to 9.15am I was shocked that I had received a letter telling me that my appointment had been put back 15 minutes. I did think what a waste of postage as I wouldn't have really noticed waiting that short time anyway. It was only after I later re read the letter I noticed that yes my appointment was 15 minutes later and also at a different hospital..Lol Silly me imagine if I hadn't read the letter again.

My Consultant referred me for this procedure 5 weeks ago after saying that it sounds like 'globus hystericus' just like Dr Spock had said to me in another thread. My Consultant wants to rule out a 'Hiatus Hernia'. I still believe that it is acid reflux as after certain foods I'm unable to swallow and get bad indigestion. I guess after 10 months of suffering I'll finally get some answers on Friday.

I am dreading it though in fact terrified as I've never had anything like this done before. Then there is the decision of to sedate or not to sedate. What do I do? I'm going towards the to sedate option at the moment as I gag even when I'm brushing my teeth sometimes. What if I choke on the camera. I don't know sometimes in life I think that the anticipation is worse then the actual outcome. Anyway I'll update after Friday. sad

1 like, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi Mrs R, yeah, go for the sedate, I am no expert, just think if you find it hard to swallow then...go for the sedate. My mum and sister have had this done and nethier felt the need to be sedated, but i have a thing about getting things put down that way,,,My mum and sister walked out as though they had just had a lovely cup of tea...I hope this is the same for you. try not to get to anxious about it all.....Good luck with it, and think in a few minutes, no matter what, the procedure will be over, and you will be able to get the help you require. take care , and hope its more pleasant thant you are anticipating.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted


    Well I'm home after the Endoscopy. I went in determined to have the sedation but a Nurse explained that I would still feel some discomfort and also will feel disorientated which could last for 24 hours. Also as my procedure would only last a few minutes so I was advised to have the throat spray. At first I thought this was just so they could bump me off home as soon as but what I was been told made sense. So I signed for the spray.

    I had to wait in another waiting area only for a few minutes then the lady who was doing the Endoscopy came to ask me some other questions then to sign the consent form. I followed her into the Endoscopy room which is quite daunting seeing the bed and all the equipment. The original Nurse that I saw had told her that I was an Endoscopy virgin so to be gentle with me..Lol

    I sat on the bed and had the throat spray which I gagged with I was so embarrassed as it was only the spray I told him to use as much as he could as I wanted to be 100% numb. I looked at the tube and commented on how wide it was and that it would never fit down my throat. I was told that what I was saw was what she had to hold onto not the tube that was going down my throat. Then I was told to lay on my left hand side and other Nurse inserted a mouth guard.

    Ok honestly it wasn't as bad as I anticipated it wasn't pleasant by any means but the worse part was the first when it goes down your throat then you swallow it calms down after that I felt air I think? been blown into my gut and heard myself belching a lot. Whilst all this was going on the male Nurse was holding my hand and I squeezed his poor finger really hard which really helped me a lot. I did thank him afterwards. I was told all what was happening whilst been reassured all the time. I was told that it was coming out then a lot of saliva came up with it. I was told that I had done really well and stayed still which had made it easier for them. but it felt like the camera was only down for seconds not minutes she was really quick and didn't mess about. I was just left with a mild sore throat.

    Well the good news was that nothing 'abnormal' was seen all looked ok, which is obviously the news that everyone wants to hear, although I'm still stuck with the feeling of a fur ball been stuck in my throat. I asked if it was down to acid and told that another test would have to be preformed with a thinner scope or something to determine acid. So I'm no further on really, I'm just going to really follow a strict diet plan and cut out all the foods that irritates me what else can I do? I have a follow up appointment with my Consultant in 8 weeks time so maybe ask him where to go from here.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    That sounds stressful, but well done for being brave. You must be so relieved its over...and had good news.

    Glad it went well, hope the follow ups help you ot to/

    Must apologise for quick message, but have a very bad headache.

    I stil would will to opt out a endoscopy. :oops:

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    You did well.

    I had five scopes all of them I hated, I have this fear of tubes down my throat. The last one I had about 5 years ago and vowed never to have another one but hey guess what my acid reflux has returned with vengenace and will have to have another one in the next couple of weeks.

    Think the test that you will have will be to measure the level of acidity which I had, it's not too bad.

    Keep your pecker up.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I had an gastroscopy (endoscopy) last week (August 2008) and beforehand was terrified as I always gag when cleaning my teeth and at dentist.

    I discussed with Consultant who reassured me and agreed that I would have sedation.

    After painless injection in hand I \"zonked\" out and next found myself in recovery room, without any recall of procedure. Consultant told me I behaved very well and responded to all his commands, but I emphasise that I have no recall whatsoever of this.

    Throat slightly sore after procedure and I rested for about one hour and a half, but otherwise fine and with no fear of having done again.

    However, it does seem that I have Barrett's oesophagus to contend with and that is why I am looking at this site.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi Norman,

    I'm glad that your procedure went well. Sorry to read that you have Barrett's oesophagus to contend with. My Step Dad had this and had to have regular endoscopies. He had suffered with heartburn and indigestion for many years they did biopsies before Christmas and removed some cells. He since has had an endoscopy and all is well just regular check ups as before, along with medication.

    I hope that they are looking after you.

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up