endoscopy or not?

Posted , 4 users are following.

My gp referred me to hospital for  endoscopy. I had one in march this year that showed ywo polyps that were alright they said!    Referred back as still having swallowing problems. all prepared ready when the doctor asked me if I really wanted this done as I only had it done in March....  I said I didn't refer myself!  I didn't have it done......been to see Gp and she's insisting on re referring me to see someone 'kind',   I want to see a professional  not a bad tempered or kind...  I really don't want to go back..    

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If you are having swallowing difficulties, you really should be rescoped. It can be due to many things and probably isn't a tomour but they need to check.

It may be you need dilation which can be done endoscopically.

• Posted

Depends how bad your swallowing problems are. Anxiety famously causes swallowing problems, as does the excessively dry mouth seen in certain autoimmune conditions. (Sjogren's syndrome is one.) Obviously swallowing is like breathing, in that it's one of those bodily functions that can start playing up if we put too much attention on it. Do you think either of these explanations suit your case?

And did you go back to your GP about your swallowing problem or did it come up in general enquiries about your health? If you specifically reported it yourself, she doesn't really have any choice but to refer you for another endoscopy. If you did report the symptom, this also raises the question of what action you expected your GP to take. There's no general pill you can take for swallowing problems, the cause has to be established by endoscopy then specifically addressed.

I'm not sure why the hospital doctor would have even asked you whether you wanted to go through with it, unless it was because you seemed unduly nervous at the time.

It seems to me that only you can make the decision. Maybe you should take a long look at how serious your swallowing problem really is, and whether it's getting worse or changing in nature. If you decide it's not too serious, then try managing it yourself.

I sometimes have problems, mainly because I have Sjogren's syndrome which dries up my mouth and throat, but sometimes because I get a bit anxious after it's been worse for a few days. I tend to eat too quickly, so have to remind myself to take small mouthfuls and chew my food well - particularly where "sticky" food like bread is concerned. In fact, I eat very little bread these days because of this problem.

If you think it's getting worse, then you need to go back to your GP. But there's not much point in going to see her if you're not going to follow her recommendations, is there?

I hope you soon find a solution for your problem.

• Posted

Hi lily. When you refer to swallowing do you mean down the gullet or the throat, I tend to have a problem with the throat but not the gullet, I love crusty bread a baps,the only slight problem I have is with fresh fruit especially citrus fruit.

I had a scope investigation in the mid nineties which was brutal

where I got to the stage of pulling the scope out,the end result was I had hiatus hernia,so I have had problems with acid reflux problems since

Colin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.