Endoscopy so scared help

Posted , 6 users are following.

hello me again

so my endoscopy is this Thursday

I'm so scared of getting it done but I must get this done I've been hiding from this for 6 years been referred 4 x and each time I havent gone as to scared

I have really bad aniexty and struggle to go doctors let alone hospital to get this done

reason I need it done is I've had really bad acid reflux for the last 7 years and they want to see what's causing it if anything.

I really need to get this done if u have had this done in the uk with sedation please tell me I'm just worrying about nothing and let me know ur experiences please

thanks for replies in advance

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Danny please do not worry ,i also suffer with anxiety and i have had the endoscopy 3 times all without sedation , it is over so quickly and i am not goingto lie to you ,i dont think you would believe me if i did , it is a strange feeling and you may feel a bit uncomfortable ,but it is no where near as bad as you fear , and with sedation you will not even remember it , so try to relax as much as you can focus on you breathing ,good luck and let us know how you get on

• Posted

I am not from the UK but I can tell you there is nothing to it. takes about an hour from the time u check it, get in a hospital gown, they take your vitals, put am IV in, doctor stops by, rolled into room, sedation administered and u r waking up..the test itself takes at most 20 min..biopseys are take. during procedure and this is common...you are given a snack and on your way home.. A pain free test..very fast. I also get terrible anxiety but this is not a test to get worked up about. simple and easy..

best of luck

• Posted

I had it done in the US 2 months ago with sedation

its's not bad at all and I have anxiety and I'm a hypochondriac

In the meantime, get a book called THE ACID WATCHER DIET, by Dr Johnathan Aviv, its Amazing! I'm going to him next week for a second opinion He saved my friends life from acid reflux and its complications

Good luck, keep me posted Relax! Its not so bad its over in not even 10 min

• Posted

I had it done in the US 2 months ago with sedation

its's not bad at all and I have anxiety and I'm a hypochondriac

In the meantime, get a book called THE ACID WATCHER DIET, by Dr Johnathan Aviv, its Amazing! I'm going to him next week for a second opinion He saved my friends life from acid reflux and its complications

Good luck, keep me posted Relax! Its not so bad its over in not even 10 min

• Posted

I suffer with anxiety and I had an upper endoscopy without sedation because I am sensitive to sedatives. I was terrified but the whole procedure was done very quickly and although it wasn't pleasant, it was not anywhere near the unpleasantness I was expecting. Remember with anxiety, the build up is nearly always worse than the outcome. I don't know if it is the procedure or the diagnosis you are more anxious of, but after 6 years, I suspect it won't be anything serious and it will probably something you can control with a good diet and/or medication. If you are being sedated I am assuming you will be with someone for the procedure which usually helps. You may feel discomfort for a few days after but that can be quite common. Don't have any hot drinks, alcohol or acidic foods and chew your food properly before swallowing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.