Endoscopy stories!!

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have my first endoscopy scheduled for next week and I’m absolutely petrified .. 1 of what they might find and 2 the procedure itself.. I really wish there was an option to be knocked out completely while they do it.. they have offered sedation... I’ve never had this but I’m pretty sure that means I’ll still be awake and can hear and feel everything that’s going on? That thought worries me more.. can anyway share there experiences ? Or let me know what it’s actually like if you have had sedation?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Natalie,

Please don’t worry everything will be okay I promise. I had to have two endoscopies with sedation one month apart (long story) and both times I was also scared but it turned out okay. If you are sedated you will go to sleep and when you wake up you will feel very relaxed and not remember anything. It goes by really fast with that being all you remember, talking to the doctor and nurses and then waking up when it’s over. You might be a little groggy afterwards for the remainder of the day and will need someone to drive you home but you will be fine I promise!

• Posted

How long did the procedure last for you? Did you have a sore throat for the rest of the day? Will you be prescribed any pain meds?
    • Posted

How you guys are still fine? After 5 days of endoscopy my symptoms became worse and I'm now having more reflux than ever as well as unexplained pain on roof of my mouth and my life is literally destroyed. Please help me someone

• Posted

Natalie, I don't know where are you from but let me tell you my story which will let you decide if to get endoscopy done or not. I have had been suffering from lpr for 5 years( which I found out just a week ago) and doctors couldn't diagnose my case. No PPIS, h2 blockers or antacids worked for me Finally I was prescribed gastroscopy and colonoscopy even though I had no symptom of Gastric pain just some symptoms of constipation and frequent throat clearing. While I was getting endoscopy done, I wasn't given enough sedation and I was still conscious and could see the screen, and when the endoscope went down my stomach I burped and gurped it out(I don't know how to describe it) and I suffered a lot during the endoscopy. That was 3 months ago and even while I typed this I couldn't stop crying. Believe me, it's been 3 months and I have throat inflammation which I can bear but an inflammation starts to happen on roof of my mouth (palate) which no doctor can help me with. It's been 3 months that I haven't studied anything I can't talk much or else the discomfort starts this is worse than having a cancer for godsake please DO NOT GET THIS DONE. I don't know many people get it done even my father did but what I'm going through only God can understand. I'm just 19 years old and that gastroenterologist has destroyed my life 😢 I wish I can kill him. Just please if you love your life then find another way to diagnose your problem find an alternative get the barium swallow done but not endoscopy don't let anything get inside you avoid everything that's invasive since it has destroyed my life it can destroy yours too. May God help you and bless you and please pray for me I'm so young and I don't deserve this. One mistake of a gastroenterologist have led me to this and if I do anything stupid that doctor will pay for it on the day of judgment. DON'T LISTEN TO ANYONE IF THEY ASK YOU TO GET ENDOSCOPY DONE JUST DON'T PAY THEM DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY AND DON'T GIVE AWAY YOUR LIFE JUST LIKE I DID!! sad Pray for me too 

• Posted

This is not very helpful just because you had a bad experience you shouldn't scare other people endoscopys can and do save life's everything in life can have risks just crossing the road can be a risk whatever happened tk you must be from gagging  when camera was down you say now one can help you what have they said about your discomfort ? 

• Posted

It's been 4 months. I'm just 19. First of all why did they even do my endoscopy is it my age to get it done? It had been 5 years, they couldn't even diagnose me correctly and kept me on PPIs while infact it is something called LPR which many don't know here about. But how can I treat lpr now? My secondary problem of this discomfort and inflammation on roof of my mouth through which I can't even speak, which even the doctors cant see and treat how am I supposed to live? It's been 4 months I have been trying everything. Taking amoxicillin 500mg and some steroidic tablets but they aren't helping even doing gargles with H2O2. Who should I blame? Me, the doctor or this invasive procedure? I would never recommend it even though it can save someone's life since it has made my life worse I wish I had gastric cancer but not this pain which has put my career on the line what will I do if I keep going like this? I wish instead I had a barium swallow and my symptoms were nothing just throat clearing and to make money they performed this endoscopy 

• Posted

Hi are you in the U.K. If so I would Ask for throat spray as well as sedation it's much better that way I've had this done three times now it doesn't take long to go and if you ask for both spray and sedation you will be ok tell them your very scared of having it done I'm sure you will be ok let me know how you get on 

• Posted

U should be fine. The procedure isn't that long. Enough sedation and you shouldn't feel anything. I did it being sedated before, I was fine. Just a sore throat after. I'm getting my endoscopy in about 4 hours. I'll be getting anesthesia. I pray everything goes well

• Posted

Hi Natalie,

I’ve just read the mixture of replies you’ve received so far. 

I’ve also had a couple of endoscopies, one done privately (had private health care at the time) and one done on the NHS just recently. 

I had spray and sedation and I just remember feeling so happy when I woke up afterwards. I had no ill effects whatsoever, didn’t remember a thing about it. I was completely sedated and I think it was an injection of Midazolam that I was given intravenously.

Having an endoscopy can be reassuring so you know exactly what is going on inside. I think everyone feels nervous before having a procedure like this, it’s only natural, but it’s really very straightforward and I’m sure you’ll be writing your own reassuring messages to others in the future. 

Take care and hope everything goes well for you.

Jane 

• Posted

Hi Natalie, I've had several endescopies done in the past year and was sedated each time and was asleep during the procedure. That actually take a biopsy from the lining of the tummy and that tells them what's going on. I can assure you it's nothing to be scared and the procedure is fairly routine. Best of luck with your test👍

• Posted

Dear Natalie

Please don't worry.  I had one a couple of years ago and it was absolutely fine and nothing to worry about (and I am a bit of a scaredy cat!).  I just had the throat spray and shut my eyes and concentrated on  slow steady breathing.  It did not hurt at all. 

• Posted

Natalie, you will be fine. The procedure is done to millions annually and is tolerated well by the vast majority. You have been advised to have this by your Physician for the purpose of better understanding your situation. There is no better way, period. 

There is a saying that is appropriate here and it goes like this  "Better the Devil You Know than the One You Don't" in other words better to proceed with the test than not knowing the underlying cause of your discomfort.

• Posted

Hi Natalie. I had one done without sedation just throat spray. I would highly recommend sedation I’m sure you will be fine 
  • Posted

Thank you everyone.... I am definitely going through with it I’m just petrified of it.. I’m really hoping I have enough sedation to just go to sleep x
    • Posted

Best of luck nate. Just make sure you're completely unconscious during the procedure and then you might not go through what I have been. Ask them to spray your throat and ask them if the invasive instrument is thoroughly sterilized as you don't wanna take any chances. Have a great healthy life ahead

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.