Endoscopy tomorrow, possible LPR with ulcer

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

So I've been lurking here for a while reading things and I figured I'd get my story here and see if anyone can help me or benefit from it. I'm currently 28.

It all started about 2 years ago. I was very stressed and one day I felt a huge egg like shape in the center of my chest (not something that I could feel physically) and also it was accompanied by a feeling like my stomach wanted to make a noise like I was hungry but it couldn't.

I went to to my doctor and he prescribed some opemrazole 40mg and after a week or so it was gone and I was fine.

Fast forward 2 years. Around last November (2016) I felt the same sensation again. I went to my GP who gave me some lanzaporale, I think it was, for a month that did nothing. I went back to the gp after the month and he put me on omeprazole 40mg for 3 months. After 2 months passed with no improvement I went back. He said I needed an endoscopy. The waiting list is insanely long (8 months) and I have no health insurance.

I decided to wait as I was only having a little discomfort from what my doctor suspected to be hpylori and a peptic ulcer.

I began to get a sore throat. It wasn't just sore it was so bad. It's extremely red with what look like lumps or burns on the back of my throat. My guess is silent reflux. My throat hurts everyday and doesn't improve. I changed my diet but I get this from anything I eat. At all. I tried just the most basic plain food but it doesn't stop.

I couldn't stay like this so I went for a breath test and was told to stay off my ppi for 7 days which I did and didn't care because I feel it does nothing. It came back negative.

I have decided to pay privately for the scope and am getting it done tomorrow morning.

I'm really worried and nervous about the outcome as what I've read everywhere is that LPR just doesn't go.

My throat is my main problem as it is always in pain. I don't have any other heartburn related symptoms except a few bits of wind coming up but nothing over the top. I also get an extremely dry mouth at times and I randomly taste blood. When I go to the bathroom to check I can spit blood but can't tell where it's coming from. But it's not my teeth or gums.

If anyone has any questions or can help that would be great. I feel awful. My throat swells up and it's so painful everyday.

Ill post the endoscopy results tomorrow.

Thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

LPR is a good possibility. Let us know after your get endoscopy results. 
    • Posted

Had the endoscopy done but no biopsy results yet. Haven't gathered much from the information except no ulcers or hernias, no bacteria but mild inflammation I think. Ill post a new topic with full results soon. Thanks for replying.

• Posted

If you are suffering from Extra-Oesophageal reflux (commonly called LPR) , it is a continuation of reflux from the stomach into the oesophagus travelling ful column and breaching the upper oesophageal sphincter where it can cause many symptoms as shown on the attached graphic.

If LPR is giving you a burning throat, that reflux is acidic. Your omeprazole should reduce that and permit it to heal.

Reflux is a mechanical problem. Medicine won't stop it but lifestyle may:

Lose weight (if necessary) , avoid overfilling your stomach (eat little and often) , avoid tight clothing, leave at least 3 hours between last meal and bed, raise bedhead 6 - 8 inches, etc.

If liestyle changes don't help and you are still experiencing reflux, you may need to opt for surgery (eg fundoplication) .

See the free book / website www DownWithAcid org uk for more information.

• Posted

This is great help. Thanks very much. I'm going to try out a regime and when I try that out and get my endoscopy biopsy results back Ill post a new topic. Thanks very much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.