Endoscopy Tomorrow! Questions

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I have my endoscopy tomorrow to find out why food is slowly/getting stuck going down my esophagus.

I have been on PPI's for 3 weeks now but I don't feel like anything has improved. I'm very worried about what could be wrong.

Still have food getting stuck, belching and feeling of something stuck in my chest. Anybody had an endoscopy with these symptoms and if so how did it go?

I'm 29 and my blood work all came back fine if that helps.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Yes I had an endoscopy for the same kind of feelings all it showed was a small hiatus hernia. I’m due to have a barium swallow test in 2 weeks but not sure what else they are looking for 
    • Posted

Hi Shelley,

What other symptoms did you have?

I suffer terribly from anxiety as well which the doc thinks is playing a big part in all this but I dont agree with him.

I've been taking ppi's for 3 weeks but I dont know if I should see an improvement yet or not?

My food getting stuck has me going insane as I have no appetite because of it. Did your swallowing issues stop?

• Posted

My symptoms are about the same that’s why I’ve got to go for the swallow test. I’ve not been told I’m suffering from anxiety but Globus which can be brought on from stress. I have a lot of chest and upper back pain. I really hope you get sorted and get some answers 
  • Posted

I have exact same issue have done for about 2 years.. I’m only just going for my first endoscopy which is booked in for 25th I’m petrified.. I take lansoprazole and the last time I had these awful symptoms it took a good 3 months to see any improvements... I’m now suffering again it’s been almost 3 months I have a day or 2 here and there where I can’t feel the lump stuck in my throat but it’s there ALOT. My doctor claims they are just looking for a possible ulcer but I don’t know.. good luck with your please let me know how  you get on x
    • Posted

Hi Natalie,

I had my endoscope done yesterday morning. I did it without sedation because i wanted to get it done and leave asap. I would recommend doing it with sedation though as its fairly rough but its doable. It went well, the doc said there was nothing sinister down there. He said I have mild gastritis and slight hiatus hernia but nothing major to worry about which is great. They tested for h.pylori and said it was negative from the early test they can do then and there. Only thing is I still have an issue with swallowing food, burping and back pain. The nurse who did my review with me afterwards did say lifestyle changes and weight loss a long with getting into a routine will make this better. I've still many questions for my GP as I would like to continue investigating my overall health as before now I never really had any health issues and I never really bothered with doctors.

• Posted

Really pleased for you that nothing sinister found.. in petrified for mine keep worrying what they might actually find.. I was going to go for sedation as in so anxious about the endoscopy anyway.. how are your symptoms have you had much improvement ? What I don’t get is how they can say mild when we get such severe symptoms.. it’s the lump feeling in my throat and chest that drives me insane.. I never get actual heart burn  just chest pressure the lump and I belch constantly  
    • Posted

I didn't even know I had gastritis. Don't really have any stomach pains but just feel full and bloated with little appetite. I've started to eat more again but still get some discomfort in my back after I eat. They said I would feel some discomfort after the scope since they take a biopsy and its a bit rough on your throat. The doctor who did my scope said he couldn't see why i was having issues swallowing food so has told me to ask my GP about doing some other tests. I'm happy enough to continue to investigate but also happy nothing bad was found in my esophagus. Didn't even say it was inflamed which i was amazed at. All very strange. My GP thought a lot of it was stress based so maybe he was right? Ive no idea really ha.

I'd say your scope will be fine. My GP is very straight forward with me and he was telling me scopes are the most overused test in medicine that there are so many things that could be wrong that aren't sinister than there are. I hope your scope goes well too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.