Endoscopy went well, all looked fine so what can be wrong?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey everyone, 

I went for a gastroscopy today which went much better than I was expecting. Just to give anyone that's worrying about it a bit reassurance. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be, although I was sedated so can't remember much! My throat feels a little sore but that's all.

The doctor told me after that everything looked fine. They took a small sample for H Pylori so have to wait to see how that pans out.  What happens next for me though if everything looked fine? My acid reflux feels very bad, my throat hurts/burns, my ear hurts, sometimes even water gives me problems.

Thanks very much for any advice!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

If you have no h. pylori, then your fine and enjoy. 

Otherwise antibiotics medications for h. pylori

• Posted

I sympathise.

It's good news your scope was fine.

Continuing burning pains should be controlled by acid suppressant - ie PPI (eg omeprazole) or a slightly less effective H2 blocker (eg ranitidine) .

If your throat and ear are being affected, it sounds like reflux, including extra-oesophageal reflux (sometimes called LPR) of contents from the oesophagus into the respiratory system. This has to be manged by lifestyle or surgery.

Lose weight if necessary. Do not overfill your stomach - eat little and often. Avoid exercise after food that will squeeze, shake or tilt you stomach. Leave at least 3 hours between last meal and going to bed. Raise the head of the bed 6 to 8 inches on blocks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.