Energy loss and Depression

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi All,

I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis about 1 year ago and currently taking 20mg MTX and will be adding Humira shortly. My skin is all cleared up from the MTX (besides the occasional rash here and there) but I don't notice any improvement in my joint pain. My pain is in the a ankle / plantar fascia and I can always walk, I just have to have special shoes, inserts, and after a days work I feel like I've ran a marathon they are throbbing so much.

My real concern/ question for you all is the energy. I used to be someone who was so productive, happy, and energetic, while now I feel constantly down. Every thing has become difficult because I've lost my motivation and drive to get up each morning and take on the day. Since taking the MTX I feel way more emotional, cry more, and get more depression

Is this because of the meds or I the disease itself? It makes me feel like I should take stimulant to survive each day (I don't)!

Open to any suggestions /ideas!

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello all,

I have been newly diagnosed with PalmoPlantar Pustular Psoriasis, Psoriatic arthritis and have had an ulcerative Colitis diganosis for a year and a half.  I am constantly tired.  It seems till the end of the day, I am so tired i can barely move.  My back and legs hurt so bad in the mornings I cannot roll myself out of the bed.  My hands and feet are red and swollen every morning and if I sit for more than 20 minutes at a time throughout the day, my body stiffens up and i have to limp around until the pain goes away.  My question to you all is, does it ever go away?  My doctor is recommending Humira, as it is treatment for all three diseases.  Has anyone ever been on Humira and has it helped.  Does it give you your energy back?  There are days i just want to lie in bed and cry, why me?  I just want my motivation and energy back.  It is starting to cause problems in my marriage and in my day to day life. 

• Posted

Hi Deanna,

I hear you. My energy is so low and although my pain is bearable, it is constant. I have no stiffness but as soon as I sit down my feet and and ankles start throbbing and never want to stand up again. Anyone that I'm close to (boyfriend especially) has to be so patient with my as I've become short tempered due to the constant exhaustion and pain.

I started humira about 3 weeks ago, I'll let go know if I notice a difference. I can say that I'm taking it with 15mg MTX and the humira as no side effects which is a huge relief.

Let me know if you decide to start humira.

-g

• Posted

I saw my GI today and he agrees that humira is the best route to go with all three diagnosis. The fatigue has gotten to the point where I too find myself being very short with my husband and children. Unfortunately my husband is one of those who thinks since I look fine on the outside I should feel fine. I tried explaining the spoon theory to him but he doesn't get it. I'm hoping that humira can give me some relief. I want my life back. I will definitely keep you posted on when I start and please keep me posted on how it is going for you. Thank you

• Posted

I've had to make a lot of life adjustments since my diagnosis so it's also a "life back" in the form of making small sacrifices. Really nothing huge just prioritizing rest and minimizing being overscheduled (which is something I still do out of habit). It's hard because in my early 20s I could be busy working/studying/socalizing 14 hours a day and now I'm destroyed after a regular days work. 

The thing about "looking fine" so you should feel fine I understand as well though I experience that more with my family than with my partner. I find the best way to handle it is be verbal and descriptive, not complaining but just informative. That way he knows I'm uncomfortable, not suffering, but it's almost like a disclaimer in case I'm uneccesarily short with him. 

• Posted

Good advice that I will definitely utilize. Lots of sacrifices and yes my big one is knowing my limits in a day and not overwhelming myself. Thanks so much

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.