Energy surge when falling asleep

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've seen so many posts that sound like mine, but not exactly. I (23F 120lbs 5'5") get these random surges of energy when I'm trying to fall BACK asleep. This happens very rarely, but when it does it's EXTREMELY annoying. I think what triggers it is the suddenness of being woken up. As I fall back asleep, this surge happens where I feel the need to jump up or violently swing my body, its an agitating feeling. It lasts for a while & I'm painfully sleepy, but can't sleep because it will just happen again. As this has happened to me right now, I'm noticing a pins & needles sensation on the left side of my body, running from my ear, down to my mid thigh. It's not a numb feeling, but it feels prickly & like an itch. i also feel the need to clench my fist on that side. I close my eyes & try to let the sleepiness take over, but I just end up tossing & turning in discomfort because I feel the urge building up again. I've also noticed this happens during the early hours of the morning starting around 4AM & lasting up until maybe 7AM. I get up to try to walk it off for a while, but it doesn't help. Does this happen to anyone else? Does anyone know what this is?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi I actually do understand. i get this alot it doesnt happen every night i notice the more tired i am the worse it is. I can usually fall asleep and then jump up with a start. I literally have to sit up and im exhausted and it happens a few times then finally i fall asleep. I do sometimes feel pins and needles but not often. Im not sure what this is. I cant find anything really about it on google. I saw anxiety which i do suffer with can cause this . I have no real answers but your not alone. Maybe bring it up with your doc next time you see them. And keep me posted as i thought does anyone have this or is it just me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.