ENG testing and caloric (water testing)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, i just went and had the ENG TEST and caloric testing done. The caloric testing (water) was a bit rough. My good ear was the one that gave me the wicked spinning sensation. The bad ear moderate to severe hearing loss . Wasn't as bad. I have read about this testing. They used very warm water at first then they used a cooler water but not cold. They said at first they may do all three. Warm,cool and very cold. After doing the first two temperatures she said i didn't have to do the cold one. Iam not sure why. Anyways i felt o.k after the tests were completed, but the next day i was really off. Tried doing my VRT excercises with no positive results. Today again not so good. I had to stay home from work today to do more of the excercises so i can try to put my balance back in track. Feeling disappointed because i was actually doing fairly good and was experiencing less and less balance issues in the last few weeks. Has this happened to anyone?

Iam glad that I did the tests bc I really want to know exactly what's happening.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marci,I had the same test but they used different high pressured air temperatures hot then cold,I was really bad for few days after but then returned to normal for a bit but now been 6 weeks where I'm so dizzy I havnt worked for 6 weeks and having to lay down most of that time,keep up the exercises as it will help,take care Lisa x
  • Posted

Hi Marci,I had the same test but they used different high pressured air temperatures hot then cold,I was really bad for few days after but then returned to normal for a bit but now been 6 weeks where I'm so dizzy I havnt worked for 6 weeks and having to lay down most of that time,keep up the exercises as it will help,take care Lisa x
    • Posted

Hope you feel better soon. It sucks to have to go through weeks of feeling like this. I was off all summer and now back at work but my finances are suffering trying to catch up.
  • Posted

Oh, I HATED the ENG test. When I had it done they used air, not water. The cold was worse than the hot, perhaps that's why she said you didn't have to do the cold since she already established what she needed?

In any case I felt worse than I had in the weeks before the test for at least 3 days if I remember correctly. I believe I had the testing done on a Friday right before lunch time and felt so much worse immediatly and didn't start feeling better until Monday. I think I still felt off until Tuesday but I was coping better on that Monday than I had through the weekend. I was bedridden until Saturday afternoon.

Don't be disappointed, it's not you, it's the test. It will fade and you will get back on track.

• Posted

Hello Marci,

I had a similar experience. Walked in to the office feeling somewhat fine, was given the Caloric test both hot & cold water and for me, made symptoms worse!  I went back to my ENT dr and told him my experience and he said, well that means you have a healthy vestibular system, you reacted as would be expected with someone who has hot & cold water being introduced to a healthy vestibular system. I sort of get it, yet why am I still having dizziness? More tests, more frustration.  Do you get headaches or any other symptoms?

• Posted

I felt fine after. I noticed that my left ear water testing created alot more dizziness for me then my left in which i have moderate hearing loss.

It wasn't until the next day i was struggling with balance issues and as well the next day. I had to stay home from work and do alot of vestibular excercises that helped subside my imbalance. I didn't have a headache this time but while i was off this summer bc of the steady imbalance,headaches,blurred vision and facial pain

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.