Enhanced recovery for hip replacement

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a hip replacement on the 9th Nov and was put on the ERAS programme hoping to go home the next day. Unfortunately I had to have 2 nights in hospital due to low blood pressure and my pain relief being sorted.

I had a visit from a Physio on the 14th Nov and was told i was doing well. It is now nearly 2 weeks from my operation, i can do all the exercises. My hip is still painful but bearable. My dressing comes off on the 22nd and i have disposable stitches. i was wondering if anyone else is under the same enhanced recovery programme, and how they were getting on as i don't know a lot about it.

I am 74 and have had 2 replacement knees.

beth

2 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

i had a left THR in April and was in hospital for 1 night only. There was no mention of ERAS but i had done strengthening exercises for 6 weeks before the op, which set me up well for post op exercises and recovery. i had only 2 days off work and due to Easter weekend was able to return to work 6 days after the op. Wound healed well and dressing came off after 3 weeks. Attended Zoom physiotherapy sessions for an hour once a week. am now back to walking 10,000+ steps a day and playing 18 holes of golf. You do have to do your exercises but also allow yourself to heal, the pain reduction, strength and increased mobility will come, don't try to hurry it.

• Edited

congrats on your new hip. to answer your question after i have experience 3 hip replacements every hip is always different in the healing journey. sine you have experienced 2 knee replacements then you get the short term and long term healing journey. 6-8 months is short term healing walking , driving and generally daily tasks are appropriate. there are still a few glitches along the healing journey .After all your body has been traumatized from THR and is a huge surgery removing bone and joint , is a major event and assault on muscles tendons and surrounding tissue. Long term healing takes about 1 and 1/2 years to two years. This is when you are about your day without a single thought about THR . Of course healing is always different for everyone . Since many of us had been walking on very painful damaged hip , also the surrounding tissue had been damaged as well equals time for all to heal.

Just walking is all I did while hips were healing . Once we have healed its nice to have our mobility back even though movement is different we must remember how important it is to take care of our new joints so they will last a long time.

Sending good vibes your way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.