Enlarged Adams apple

Posted , 6 users are following.

hello .... Has anyone experienced an enlargement of their thyroid cartilage area e.g. The Adam's apple? 

I live in scotland, age 50, waiting on ct scan results.  Still having periods but been feeling strange for while now and now this has kind of crept up on me ...

any insight would be helpful. I know in PCOS u can get this but my testosterone levels are fine.

thanks, Susan 

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was thinking this about myself the other day, I'm 36 and having peri, I also have a overactive thyroid being treated by tablets, sometimes I feel I look like a man when I look in the mirror as you can see my "Adams Apple" would be interesting to know if this is yet another menopause symptom X

• Posted

Hi Lou-lou

Thanks for reply.  

I have had my thyroid checked and all is fine - bloods, ultrasound and CT and no issues found.

Is your adam's apple a new symptom?  And if so how long have you noticed it?

This is a new thing with me, it has sort of crept up on me over about 10 months I would say - crazy really cos I look at my neck every day but only started feeling a change when in shower and washing neck - it felt more boney and more protruding, then i started looking at it and was quite alarmed at how it actually did look.

I had a throat camera back in nov., and my CT scan two weeks ago was fine, but gold standard is to have another internal throat scan now cos time passed since novemeber.

All docs seem baffled as to wot causing it.  

I have different throat sensations every day now - not sure if hormonal.  Sometimes tight at right, or left or in the middle.  Really fed up cos of no answers :-(  Let me know your story please if you can.

Thank you.

Susan

• Posted

Hi Susan, I think I've noticed mine over the last 3 months or so, I also sometimes have trouble when I swallow meaning sometimes I feel I have to force the swallow when I'm drinking and eating, I don't know if this is meno thing or because of my turbid but I've still got another 3 months before I see the consultant for that, I even been to the doctors this morning but forgot to mention it to them ask was too anxious about my blood tests ?? X

• Posted

Hi Lou-lou

I can swallow food and drink fine, it's actually a relief to swallow food cos it seems to feel better ... also a warm drink is good.  And is your "Adam's Apple" hard, like it is bony and like your windpipe is pushed forward more than it was?  Mine is like that, and it is symmetrical, like it's even on both sides, like something is pushing my trachea forward, if you know what I mean.

Are you in the UK?  If you would rather private message me then that is fine - you can let me know.  

I hope to hear back from you again.

Susan

• Posted

Have either of you had your thyroid antibodies checked? I have this as I have Hashimotos. The antibodies attack your thyroid and create the goiter which sounds like what you're describing...

• Posted

Yes ... my antibodies are less than one. It's not a goiter. It's much more bony cartilage on the front of my neck ... like I have grown an adams apple ... its hard bone. Thyroid fine on ultrasoind and ct scan.

• Posted

Hi Lou-lou

How are you getting on regarding your Adam's Apply?  I have had more blood tests again and all is 'fine' - surprise surprise - not even in peri apparently even though I am 51 - so I must be, but according to hormone levels I am not yet - but those tests are not reliable - even doc says that.  I am going to go private endocrinologist as my neck is just not right and I need to know what's going on.  It's driving me mad - it really is.  

Susan

• Posted

Hi Lou-Lou

How are you getting on?  Have you had your consultation appointment yet?

I am hopefully going to be seeing an NHS endocrinologist re my problems.  My doc is good and said she would write to the endo chap and ask if he would see me as i was still not happy re no explanation for my problems.

Susan

• Posted

Hello Susan, I was wondering if you found out what it is... would be grateful for your response, best wishes!
    • Posted

Hello ... I am still none the wiser.  I keep thinking it must be something to do with the estrogen receptors that I have read that cartilage has, and that estrogen can stimulate cartilage growth ... but the enforcement said that even women who are Estes gentlemen dominant don't have it manifest itself in this way.  He did say perhaps I was more 'sensitive' ... not sure if he meant just in general as we had kinda moved away from estrogen and cartilage at that point from what I can remember. New doc said that perhaps this is a 'variance' ... seeing her again once she has seen the endo report as my medical records were not available to her as I recently moved house.

do u have a problem like this?

susan

• Posted

sorry there were a couple of predictive text errors in my reply ... Estes means estrogen.  Not sure where gentleman came from.  Enforcement should read endo ... as in endocrinologist.

cheers, Susan 

• Posted

Hello, Thank you for your comment. My friend has such problem. Did you have your larynx checked? She is panicked that it is something with that. All the best!
    • Posted

Hello.  I have been to ENT twice and had the camera into my throat and they checked my vocal chords and said it looked ok.   How old is your friend?  And does she have the exact same as me, e.g. That the Adam's apple part of her neck is much much more bony and obvious?  This is why I joined this forum to try and find out if anyone else has experienced this around the time of menopause.  I also have discomfort in my throat ... random pains, a tickley throat, sore throat. And feel like the bones in my neck - well the cartilage - is still growing ... it is very worrying. Are u in the U.K.?

thanks.

Susan

• Posted

She is 39. It seems She has similar symptoms. It is very new for her. We are in Poland. Do you plan on having further tests?
    • Posted

Hi.  The change in my neck has been happening for about 2 years, I first noticed it was more bony when washing in the shower and I finally had to admit to myself that i was growing an Adam's Apple, or my cartilage in that area was getting bigger.  I've had lots of tests already, including a CT scan on my neck which thankfully seemed OK, so it is still a mystery to me and all the medical staff I have encountered.  I have had my testosterone checked and it was normal, so i have no idea what is going on, it is ruining my life as I am so depressed about it not knowing what is going on.  I will be going back to my new doctor very soon as when i was there last she did not have my endo report or medical files to look at.  Tell me more about the investigations your friend has had if you can.

Thanks

Susan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.