Enlarged adrenal gland

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi All, I have been suffering with right sided flank/back pain for some time, it's got so bad recently especially after eating in the evening that I've been back to docs. I was sent for an MRI where it shows my right adrenal gland it enlarged! I've had a terrible few months but put most of it down to weight gain, I'm constantly drained and when not at work seem to be in bed all the time. I'm going for more blood tests and an ultrasound. Can anyone tell me what an enlarged adrenal gland is likely to be... could it be cancer? I'm a 45 year old female and any advice would be great fully welcome.

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Being tired all the time might mean that your adrenals are under-delivering on cortisol. So before you go for the blood tests, ask your doc to include a cortisol level check if not already doing so. 

Meanwhile, even the spot on your nose could be cancer so really there is no point in making this any more difficult than it is already by scaring yourself. Far more important is that finally you are getting a real diagnosis rather than being brushed off with "it must be your age/women's trouble/going through a bad patch" and similar nonsense. You are on the way out of the tunnel. Whatever you find out is going to be an improvement on not knowing.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice, yes I was wondering if they would be checking cortisol levels, I was wondering if I'd been getting too much as all the symptoms I find seem to be describing me, high and erratic blood pressure, weight gain (especially round the middle) facial hair etc! I guess I just need to be patient and see what the professionals say 😊

• Posted

Based on my experience, I would try asking outright and in advance for it to be done. The worst that can happen is that they say no. An ordinary cortisol test is just one more analysis of the bloods being taken anyway whereas getting bloods taken again seems to be more of a faff, Don't wait to ask the nurse ['s aide] taking the sample as they have no authority to change what the doc has requested, so get your retaliation in first!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.