Enlarged adrenal gland on CT scan

Posted , 4 users are following.


Had CT scan which showed enlarged adrenal gland. Doctor said I should get my doctor to monitor it but my doctor said he had no idea how? Other doctor did kidneys so not his area. Does anyone know if it needs anything doing or if this is really common?

Many symptoms but won't bore you with them but ill for a year, fibro type ones.


0 likes, 7 replies


7 Replies

  • Posted

    Thanks very much. No hormone blood tests done.

    Quite ill past year after previously fine and fairly active. Fluish feeling, infections every few weeks, dizziness / off balance, sometimes collapsing, get much dizzier in periods initially thought due to slight anaemia but continued and then said hormones. Aches pains. Had standard blood tests normal except mild anaemia. Lots of bleeding, tested for cancer, negative but CT scan revealed the enlarged adrenal gland. Get very dizzy on standing sometimes.

    Had heart pains at one point, tests normal. Putting on weight but still normal BMI, very rare for me to add weight but may just be lack of activity. Did have a strange bite after holiday which may have been a tick but not tested yet for Lyme. Thanks very much.

    Report Reply
  • Posted

    Hi Justine, just read your post and sounds similar to me. I kept getting right flank pain and an enlarged adrenal gland was found during an MRI (they say not related to pain but not so sure). This was almost a year ago but I’m now under an endocrinologist being tested for Cushings. So far all cortisol levels high in all the various tests and waiting to see a Cushings expert. All my other health conditions make so much sense now. I’d been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia a couple of years ago and was blaming all my problems on that together with weight gain. So much pain, muscle weakness etc, I literally seemed to be living the life of an 80 year old at 46. My blood pressure has been extremely high and now I believe this tumour to be the cause. You need to be referred to an endocrinologist that can carry out blood and urine tests to check your cortisol levels.... good luck, Jo xx
    Report Reply
  • Posted

    Enlarged adrenal glands are characteristic of adrenal hyperplasia. How is your blood pressure? Are you on tablets? Do you have your U/E data to hand? e.g. sodium, potassium, urea, creatinine, and GFR.
    Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up