Enlarged Liver of 19cm??

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have an enlarged liver of 19cm. It was 18.8cm last April when I was diagnosed with gallstones and an enlarged liver via ultrasound, but I had a CT scan last week, and now my liver is 18.9cm which they just went on and referred as 19cm. What can I do? My doctor has only referred me to a gastro, which I've already went to, and just said livers can be different sizes and didn't seem to be too concerned.

I am only 21 years old, female, about 5'8" have never had a sip of alcohol or smoked, and honestly I don't know why I would have such a massive liver. 

I'm going to try a milk thistle supplement in the following weeks, since it's supposed to help, but does anyone else have such a large liver? What have you done about it? 

I'm only on about 3 medications, so I'm doubting it's my meds causing the enlarged liver. I am rather obese, but around 200lbs, but no doctor has said it's fatty liver, they haven't said anything as to why it's so large!

Any insight would be wonderful

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Even if you have haemochromatosis, you are too young for it to have such a major effect on your liver.  Ask for Iron Studies to rule it out anyway.

Eliminate sugars and starches from your diet.  If you are 'rather obese' then you are most likely to have a fatty liver.  The culprit is sugars and starches, and that means potatoes too.  Try it and see, you have nothing to lose.

• Posted

Would this show in my blood work if I had too much iron? Because I've had a lot of blood tests done, and all came back normal, even the liver levels are normal despite it being enlarged on scans.  I will try cutting out the bad foods and see if it helps! I also just got my milk thistle supplement to see if that works any
    • Posted

No, Iron Studies are not in the normal blood work.  Only serum iron and haemoglobin are.  You may have to ask for it, if not done.  You want to know what your ferritin iron and your transferrin saturation % is.  It will also include serum iron.

• Posted

OK! I will try this. I doubt my doctor will do it, but it's worth a shot. I really couldn't think of much to cause such an enlarged liver!
  • Posted

Yes, even if one don't drink you might get fatty liver. Trying controlling one's food intake is a good way to prevent liver from being overworked. In your case since you have a past with gall stones it meant your body didn't have a chance to cleanse itself properly so residues gather to become gall stones. Suggest you begin a new routine each day when you get up after brushing your teeth by squeezing juice out of half lemon, add two teaspoons of honey and two teaspoons of olive leaf extract with about 3 tablespoons of warm water. Stir mixture and drink it quick, you will feel energise . Then have a light breakfast like oats with phylum husk or cereal with banana. Try to take more vegetables and fruits in your meals and lessen your meat intake daily. Abstain from eating in between meals but if need to eat - take some fruits like papaya, banana or celery stalks. At night - 1 or 2 hours before you sleep take another 2 teaspoons of olive leaf extract extract with warm water. Also do take one Omega 3 (1000mg with 180EPA and 120 DHA) and 1 Vitamin E (400iu) after each meal

Plus 1 multivitamins in the morning. You will note that doing by following this routine you have less urge to eat to much as your body will try burn off its excess fat stored to give you same energy level. Try to aim to lose under 10 lbs of weight per month and you will find you will have a more healthy liver. I tried taking milk thistle for more than 5 years but it didn't do me any good for my liver till I tried the suggested regime when I lost 20 lbs in 3 months. If you can find Indian gooseberry as a fruit from Indian produce shop - trying juicing it and drink 3 tablespoons with warm water once per day . If not available as fresh fruit, try to see if you can buy it in powder form online. Keep me posted. Stay positive and have early night too.

• Posted

OK, this is a lot of info to take in, but I'm going to give it a shot! I exercise every other day, so I try to stay healthy, but my diet can get a bit fatty every now and again. Thank you
  • Posted

Hi - did you ever get to the bottom of this one? I'm dealing with the same thing, enlarged liver (19 cm) with no apparent cause (drink very little, no fatty liver), though slightly overweight.  Thanks a lot

• Posted

I would like to know what works , I have same problem . 20cm. Makes ya nervous.

• Posted

I wish I had an answer for you. I had a ct scan w/o contrast for something else that said mine was enlarged at 20cm. I have been having liver symptoms in fact I have every last skin symptom that has just popped up over the last couple months. I had an ultrasound a few days ago and they just called this morning to tell me i had fatty liver. I am 5"1 and weigh 196. They told me it was from being overweight or my diet. I picked up the report and am confused cause it says diffuse increased echogenicity of the liver suggesting hepatocelluar disease likely caused by fatty liver. I'm now freaking out thinking I have a liver disease that was caused by fatty liver and am trying to figure out how to make my liver better.

She told me if I was still having abdominal pain she could refer me to a gastro if I was still having abdominal pain so I took the referral though they can't see me till late August.

I'm curious about the Milk Thistle you mention. Does this help the liver??

• Posted

i am a 58 year old women 5"2 101 pounds. never was a drinker . I smoke 1/2 pack a day ciggerettes a day for about 30 years.

I am and have been a vegetarian for over 15 years.

I just got report back on my MRI to check my kidney cycst. The report says that the craniocaudal dimension of the liver is 19cm. Liver surface smooth.

doesn't say anything else in regards to my liver.

So what does this mean?

• Posted

i am a 58 year old female. i never have been a heavy drinker and havent had a sip of alcohol in 30 years or longer.

i weight almost 100 pounds . i have always been small. dont nor mever used drugs . i do smoke 1/2 pack cigarettes a day for about 30 years on and off. i have had ct scans and mris.

i have never been told or seem anything on my findings of my liver being mentioned until Jan 2020. just said liver is 19cm.

what the heck? is this notmal?

seems like i am finding out all kinds of stuff changing in my body as i get older and ask the drs for cts to check if all is good.. I have No symptoms ..

what did you find out about your liver size??

• Posted

i am a 58 year old female. i never have been a heavy drinker and havent had a sip of alcohol in 30 years or longer.

i weight almost 100 pounds . i have always been small. dont nor mever used drugs . i do smoke 1/2 pack cigarettes a day for about 30 years on and off. i have had ct scans and mris.

i have never been told or seem anything on my findings of my liver being mentioned until Jan 2020. just said liver is 19cm.

what the heck? is this notmal?

seems like i am finding out all kinds of stuff changing in my body as i get older and ask the drs for cts to check if all is good.. I have No symptoms ..

what did you find out about your liver size??

• Posted

Just as people are born with bigger heads, and bigger builds, and different coloured eyes, different people have different sized livers. The size of the liver isnt what matters, its what you do to keep it in check.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.