Enlarged Lymph Node (need encouraging words)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Shortly after I started suffering from panick attacks (a month or so), I noticed that the back of my left knee was a bit more fleshy than my right one. You can imagine how scared I was! I had never dealt with anxiety before and just then this lump pops up! I've never had health anxiety like this before! I sort of neglected it for a few months because when I looked it up, it sounded a lot like a Baker's Cyst, which is completely benign. Finally I went in to get X-rays done and the doctor confirmed it was a Baker's Cyst. I though to myself, how can you possibly CONFIRM this from an x-ray if baker's cysts don't show up on x-rays. Needless to say, I went in for a second opinion elsewhere. After getting another x-ray with no abnormalities, it was on to the second step: getting an ultrasound. 

Turns out it's an enlarged lymph node on my popliteal fossa (back of knee). I hoped and hoped it would have been a cyst because that would have been the end of it. Now I'm getting sent in for bloodwork, a second ultrasound (to see if it's growing), and a biopsy

Stupid me started googling and now I can't stop crying at the idea that I might have cancer. Everywhere I've read says that a painless, rubbery lymph node that's lasted more than 2-3 weeks is a cause for concern. I feel hopeless. It's like everything just piled up on me. First the anxiety, then my depression came back, and now this. My anxiety is going back through the roof. I just want to cry all day. I try not to think about it, but how can you not when there's a possibility you won't get to spend the next ten years next to the people you love. I'm not strong enough for something like cancer...

I guess I just need some positive stories, words of encouragement, anything!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

The doctor has to play along. If you show the doctor something you're worried about he's obligated to Investigate to your satisfaction . it's hard to prove something is nothing, especially if you come up with suggestions. Did the first doctor Give In to your suggestions? Tell yourself in advance what will end your worry

• Posted

I didn't suggest anything, though. I went in about a lump, answered some questions, and let them do the rest. In other words, I don't believe they have in to any suggestions because I didn't make any.

• Posted

Hi Mitch, I'm so sad to read this. You must be very, very upset about this.

Nobody believes they're strong enough for cancer - until they get it.

And there's every possibility that you have NOT got cancer.

Most cancers are being treated more successfully every day. My sister had breast cancer ten years ago, had treatment, went into remission. Two years ago it came back - now she's in remission again. She's 70 and quite a worrier, but she faced it with dignity and is an inspirational person, in my view, anyway.

Look, if you DO have cancer, be assured that the docs will start treatment right away. And PLEASE let  us know how things are going along. We're all here to support you!                                                            xxxxxx Tess

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate it. I'll try to keep you updated. I go in for bloodwork on Monday smile

• Posted

hey tess! i had to stay true o my word so here i am giving you a little update smile bloodwork was all within normal range, the doc even said he was jealous haha we also went over the ultrasound results to clear any confusion and turns out the leg with the lump came back completely clear which means its probably just a fat deposit or reactive muscle. the right leg did have a 7mm lymph node but that was also within normal range. i still do have the pesky little thought that it might be a soft tissue sarcoma as those tend to go diagnosed for years until they are advanced. i trust my doctor said but will be going in for a second opinion just to put my mind at ease. either way, i am so relieved!!!!

• Posted

Wonderful news, Mitch.

Thanks for getting back to me!

Love Tess xxxx

• Posted

My daughter has a lymph node on the back ofrom her head that swells up to the size of a golf ball sometimes. First time it did it lasted a month or more and was painful. I took her in because I figured if she had only been fighting something off the swollen node would be settled back down after a couple weeks. Turned out it was just her body fighting a viral thing. Doc also said that when there is an illness to be concerned about, there are typically multiple lymph nodes that swell. Not just 1. I'm so glad your tests came back good and you are now at ease. 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.